Sunday, August 19, 2012

Communion of Saints


We Are Not Alone, We Live in God's World -- Gary Crawford

I'm not keen on doing the funerals of strangers, including those "members" who haven't actually darkened the door of a church in thirty or forty years. I don't mean to be harsh, but funerals are worship services too, and the most meaningful fo me as a minister are based on a relationship with both God and Christian community.

That said, I had a meaningful "stranger" funeral this past week. I was asked to cover funerals by a colleague who is attending General Council in Ottawa and, sure enough, I got a call. This is something we do for one another, although we all hope we get through the specified time without being contacted.

When I met with the family I knew right away that the person who died, an elderly woman with Alzheimer's, was loved. She had shared more than sixty years in marriage with her gentle husband and I started to get the picture of a life lived well in our meeting. The service took place in the church which they attended for many years and it was nearly filled with friends and family. They were a singin' crowd which is always good with hymns, and the three tributes were full of love and admiration. The daughter read the two anniversary love letters the husband wrote his wife after she finally went into a nursing home, and they were moving

As I drove away after the service it occurred to me that while I never met this woman, she was not a stranger. She was and is a member of the "communion of saints" and I had the privilege of pinch-hitting as presider for this holy moment. Faith was very much a part of her life and of what we did together as a congregation that morning.  Not that I want to get called on too often!

Any reflections on this? What about your own experiences?

2 comments:

IanD said...

Thanks for such a great glimpse into a day in your life, David.

Laura said...

Was at a "funeral" recently of a "lapsed Catholic" as her daughter referred to her. Her daughter interpretted that to mean she had issues with the Catholic church but still had her faith. Her son interpretted that as meaning atheist, and in-tune with his beliefs, which negated any Christian tradition for this lovely lady's "funeral". There wasn't any leader presiding just the son, and some short memories shared by a few. My kids noticed that lack of feeling of a community to lean on, and sense of hope that comes from those "communion of saints" funerals of which you speak. I knew this lady very well.

I have been at church funerals for folks I only distantly know...but feel close because they are in deed holy moments and a gathering of the saints, and as you say, I feel deeply blessed to share in them.

I hear a minister's echo in my head saying we should talk about these things with our families while we are still here!