Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Mobbed

I was mobbed yesterday and it was great. I was coming back from a bike ride and happened to pass the church while the children of this year's Vacation Bible School were on the lawn for a snack. Immediately arms were waving, and I heard "David, David" so I stopped in. It was Old Home Week, or at least I was the old one, because this is a young, energetic crowd. "I haven't been in church all summer but I miss it" said one. Another showed me the gaps for three missing teeth. One little guy held out his Lego Joker and told me that his mom will only let a Lego figure shoot another Lego figure because violence is bad. All this and more in a couple of minutes! I can't tell you how uplifting I find these contacts and conversations. These children are so open.

There is a remarkable leadership group for this VBS, including at least five current and retired teachers. Talk about going above and beyond the call of duty. We have a wonderful group of teens who are involved in leadership as well.
I hope and pray that the children will deepen in their sense of God's love and the companonship of Christ. Much of that will happen in the happy community created during the week. Lego and lost teeth may not seem "Jesusy" but these children knowing that they are in a family of faith goes a long way. Please pray for kids and leaders during this week.

Thanks to all the leaders and those who have offered practical support, including snacks. Make sure you join us on Friday at 11:30 for the closing.

Comments?

2 comments:

IanD said...

We dropped the girls and their friend off yesterday, and I was honestly floored at how many kids were there. The place was crawling!

Thanks to Laura, Allanah and the countless others there yesterday for such a great start. My kids came home excited, and straings of "Operation Overboard" could be heard from the backyard for the rest of the afternoon.

Laura said...

I think this might have been your second "mobbing" in a week, David. As I worked away in the upstairs church office last week, the window was open and there was a group of Clarington Connection folk lunching below on the church lawn. As you went out the door and assumingly into their view, I heard a chorus of "Daaaaviddd" from the picnic-ers, all seemingly so pleased to be back in community after summer hiatus.

We seem to have an exceptional group of eager kids this year at VBS. I don't think I ever recall such an attentive bunch for our bible story time...and a quick learn on the lively music also!

Special mention has to be made of 4 young lads,who had moments of thinking they were too old to come this year, but came along and are dancing and singing to the music(as if no one is watching). They eagerly raise their hands with great answers.They have been such a wonderful example (to kids and teachers alike.)

Amazing volunteers including our teens who I imagine are dragging themselves from bed, after weeks of sleeping late, but arrive joyful and ready to go .....we are blessed!