Sunday, March 22, 2015

The Rainbow Promise


During the March Break the Big Brothers and Sisters of Belleville held a children's camp in our building. There was general exuberance during the five days, which sounds so much nicer than mayhem. The kids seemed to be having a great time and the activities were obviously fun. I emerged from my study from time to time to chat with leaders and children and on Friday I noticed that the nametag on one little guy said "Noah." I told him that I thought he had an excellent name and he proceeded to tell me that it was from the bible, followed by some Noah information and theology.

All during Lent our sanctuary has been adorned with two lengthy multi-coloured sweeps of cloth. The lectionary has been reminding us of God's covenants, beginning with Noah and his family and all creatures, so we have left the banners in place all through the season.

I offered to take young Noah up to the sanctuary to see them, if a leader would come along with him. Suddenly there was a whole gang of children eager to explore a part of the church they hadn't seen. Their immediate reaction was "awesome!" as they walked into the worship space. They had a lot of questions and a great deal of curiosity. I suggested that we go even higher into the balcony and bell tower and they were off like a shot.

I have no idea how many of these children venture into a church on a regular basis. Canadian statistics tell us that not many of them do, as fewer and fewer of us attend worship on a regular basis. I'm pleased that the symbols of God's rainbow promise were intriguing for the teens who came to Bridge St a few weeks ago to speak to the UCW Presbyterial and then with the children Friday.

Will this make a significant difference? I'm not holding my breath, but at least we could be welcoming. We need to be diligent and creative in opening our imposing doors to everyone, whenever we can. God's promises are for everyone.

Comments?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I say AMEN to that!

Laura said...

Love hearing this story....thanks for sharing and for engaging these kids. Our local public school plays basketball etc here at our church as they don't have a gym (as you know). We see a few of them now at our junior youth group...and they tell other kids on the team that this is their church...amen to that!