Friday, March 20, 2015

Water Week

Home
We are near the end of Canada Water Week which means I should probably say something specific about the significance of water as a Judeo/Christian metaphor for life as well as the importance of protecting the precious resource we seem to take for granted in this country. I I did make reference to water in the form of ice in a blog entry earlier this week in my musing about the Vanishing Ice exhibit at the McMichael Gallery but I didn't have Water Week in mind. http://canadawaterweek.com/content/about-canada-water-week

I like the "splash" of the logo for this week, and everything contained within it. On first glance I thought that one of the watery images looks like a moose. Then I realized it is a stylized moose and that there is a canoe, a duck, a whale, and um, other thingies within the logo.

There are plenty of scriptural references to water and Jesus describes himself as Living Water to the Samaritan woman at the well. But one of my favorite images comes from a children's book, the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. You may recall that the children pass through the wardrobe into the Land of Narnia which is in thrall to the White Witch. The hundred-year winter has everything in its icy grip until a thaw begins, signaling hope to the inhabitants that the Aslan, the lion and Christ figure is returning to set them free.



We have noticed on our walks that streams and rivers are beginning to run again, despite the persistent cold. Spring will eventually arrive! Let's hope and pray that as we anticipate the change of seasons we will respect the abundant water of this region and all the watersheds of Canada.

Comments?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think I see a person drinking in the logo....I assume it is water.