Friday, April 24, 2015

The Cost of Compassion

The prospect of being able to claim EI for six months might reduce the strain on hospital facilities, if patients can be looked after at home.
Some weeks I am two or three days ahead in my blog entries. Other weeks I am always slightly behind. Today I am a little late in expressing my suspicion  that the federal budget released a few days ago was good for nothing other than to play to the Conservative faithful.

There is absolutely nothing about a strategy to mitigate climate change. There is nothing about combatting poverty. It seems to be a platform to tout a "good news" balanced budget, whatever the cost, a few months before a federal election. All parties do it, but it stinks.

Actually, the budget was good for something. There will be a significant increase in the Compassionate Care Benefit for those who are looking after loved ones who are ill. The increase is from six weeks to six months. A year would have been better, but this is a huge step in the right direction and our government should be applauded. There are hundreds of thousands of Canadians in this situation and they deserve to be helped rather than hindered.

In our role in pastoral care in our congregation Vicki and I often see how providing this sort of care for family members can be exhausting physically, emotionally, spiritually. If it means taking time away from paid employment this results in additional stress and worry. Knowing that there are several more months of benefits will relieve some of that anxiety.

Have you been in a caregiver role for an ill or dying loved one? Were there sufficient supports for you as you did so? Should we providing more benefits for those caring this load?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

When I was looking after my sister, my spiritual and emotional support came from my own close friends and our own minister of visitation, Vicki. Free parking at hospitals would have ben nice !