Monday, April 20, 2015

The Value of Study Bibles



On a fairly regular basis I am asked if I would blog about Christian music, videos, books by those who publish them. Often  I don't reply --there is some fairly strange stuff -- and just as often I offer what I hope is a polite "no thank you." On occasion I am intrigued, and then I wait for what is usually a book to arrive.

A few months ago I received the NIV First-Century Study Bible with the subtitle Exploring Scripture in Its Jewish and Early Christian Context. There are notes by Kent Dobson who is a teaching pastor at a big church in Michigan.

I prefer the New Revised Standard Version of the bible to the New International Version for a number of reasons, even though the NIV was my bible of choice during my teens. The NSV is more inclusive in its language, yet rigorous in its scholarship. Still, I appreciate this study bible because of the maps and charts and illustrations interspersed through the text of scripture, not just in appendices at the back of the bible.

There are small insert word studies for words such as Abba, or father. Another reminds us that "to fear the Lord" is speaking of awe or wonder. There is a map of Philip's and Peter's Missionary Journeys, when often only those of Paul are included. Photos of archeological sites are interesting, as are the art images of various biblical scenes or events or persons. There is also a topical index at the back which is always helpful.

Is this the best study bible available? I'm not equipped to say, because I can't offer informed comparisons. I did share it with someone who is exploring his Christian faith and eager to learn. He found it helpful and I can see that it would be for someone new to Christianity and someone with a longer and more informed faith background. I appreciate that the publisher, Zondervan, was willing to send me a copy. Zondervan has traditionally been a theologically conservative publishing house but from what I can see the goal has been to be educational and balanced.

 

Do any of you use a study bible or do you like your scripture "straight up?" Does this one sound interesting to you?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The last 2 Bibles I purchased were the New English Bible (with Apocrypha - back in the late '80's and early 90's (suggested by the prof in the University courses I was studying at the time) This new version could interest me ...

David Mundy said...

Consider it loaned Judy!