Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Caregiving and Violence in Ontario

Image result for report on violence against health care workers in Ontario

Many of you are aware through this blog of the ongoing attempts by my brother and me and our spouses to support our aging mother. She will soon be 92 and due to illness and age she has faded physically and cognitively to the point that she is now in a nursing home. We have moved her four times in the past few years, each time to a facility which provides a greater level of care. We are tremendously grateful to those who have provided various levels of support. When Mom was still in an "independent living" residence she came to the point where she needed the help of a PSW. Mom was still able to mask some of her symptoms at that stage and it was this Personal Support Worker who alerted us to what was happening in less obvious ways. When Mom moved into the nursing home recently six staff members were at her door in a matter of minutes and we see the positive outcome of their ongoing attention to her needs.

As this latest move has unfolded I have been very aware of the recent report on violence experienced by health care workers in Ontario. A poll of 2,000 nurses and PSW's and other workers found that 68 per cent of hospital staff in Ontario said they have been victims of physical violence at work in the past year — from getting punched and kicked, to being pinned against a wall. One of the co-authors, Jim Brody observes "People who go to work literally every day worried that they will be beat up or assaulted."The report is entitled Assaulted and Unheard: Violence Against Healthcare Staff, which suggests that this is an issue which isn't being addressed adequately. I heard someone involved in this study who said that at a recent conference with 150 participants every person raised a hand when the group was asked who had been assaulted while at work. While it appears that the report focused on hospital staff this is likely a reality in other institutions.

Image result for report on violence against health care workers in Ontario

What does this have to do with my mother? Fortunately her journey into dementia has not included anger and physical aggression. Even the calmest of persons can go through significant personality changes because of his or her illness. Mom continues to be gracious and respectful to everyone, even though she may not always comprehend what it going on around her. However, our father became increasingly belligerent and aggressive with other residents and staff in the final months of his life. When he died we gave the staff on his floor a monetary gift so they could go out for a meal together. They earned it!

I am more mindful of what some of the excellent staff members who support our mother may be experiencing in the workplace. In any setting it doesn't really matter if someone lashes out because of pain or intoxication or dementia. These workers deserve to be safe and to fulfill their vocations without threat of violence. The majority are women and surely this is a violence against women issue, from a different perspective.

When I was in ministry I would pray in worship for caregivers from time to time, often around holidays when others were with family and they were working. It didn't occur to me to pray for their safety. Perhaps this should happen more often in our services and in personal devotions. They really are unsung heroes.

Thoughts?

2 comments:

roger said...

I visit my Dad often at the nursing home, which luckily is just down the road from me. One of the things I am grateful for is the kindness the workers show my Dad.

While he has dementia and often introduces me to workers as his younger brother, he is capable of having a conversation and using humour - which many residents are not. I suspect the workers sincerely do enjoy seeing my Dad, and it doesn't hurt that they know a family member is "on the scene" two or three times a week. Conversely, I often wonder about the residents who have no family members visiting or advocating for them. Are they treated the same way? I really hope so.

As an aside, while it has been difficult to see my Dad on this slide(he is 92 as well), I have been comforted by a book that I have recently read entitled "Seven Lessons From Heaven". I do believe he will be seeing my Mom one day, and he has frequently said he does not want to be around any longer and wants to be with Mom in the next life.

Good PSW's at nursing homes are to be treasured. It is a tough job, and to keep smiling must be extremely challenging.

David Mundy said...

I think that those of us who see these workers in daily action appreciate how giving and professional they are. While there are instances of neglect and abuse, I haven't witnessed them professionally or with my mother. Thanks for sharing your experience Roger.