Monday, February 04, 2019

Do I Need a Character Coach?

Image result for Nfl players praying
Apparently the Super Bowl, the season finale for the National Football League in the States, is not the big ratings deal it once was. There are a lot of people who are now aware that football is dangerous and even lethal, permanently damaging brains and killing players after they've retired due to concussions. Then there is the controversy over former quarterback Colin Kaepernick and his take-a- knee protest against racism that resulted in no team being willing to sign him. The president of the United States called players who joined him in kneeling during the national anthem "SOB's," although he used the full offensive expression.


Still, gajillions of people watched last evening's game. And here it is. I'm a long-time fan of the game and a team in that Super Bowl. The New England Patriots are known for both excellence and cheating when they really didn't need to cheat (apparently cheaters do prosper.)  Not only that, the owner Bob Kraft, is a personal friend of Donald Trump, and both the coach Bill Belicheck and quarterback, Tom Brady, supported the Orange One during the past election.
Image result for jack easterby patriots

I'd call myself a hypocrite, but how hard on myself do I want to be? And how do my sins stack up next to the person who is described as chaplain and "character coach" for the Pats? This is a full time job for Jack Easterby who has his own office and a voice in personnel evaluations. All NFL teams have a chaplain but most are in congregational ministry and act in a voluntary role. They aren't inclined to pray for outcomes, but that God will give players the calm and focus needed to achieve their best.

Easterby, who never played football at any level,  promotes a "culture of positivity and encouragement and helping the Patriots identify and cultivate character traits in players that will lead to team success." Quarterback Tom Brady says that Easterby is key to their success but I don't think I want to know how he justifies his role knowing what has gone on with the team. So much for prophetic "truth to power."

More than once I've decided to stop watching football for the reasons listed above, not to mention the obscene salaries and virtual cult following. Perhaps I need a character coach? Pray for me please.

What are your thoughts about all this? Oh, bye the way, I did watch what proved to be a boring game, and once again the Patriots prevailed.

While you're here, take a look at my Groundling blog thoughts about the seeds of Creation faith

https://groundlingearthyheavenly.blogspot.com/2019/02/sowing-seeds-of-creation-faith.html


1 comment:

roger said...

I was so hoping for the Rams to win last night. Yawn...another Super Bowl appearance and victory for the Patriots.

I'm with you regarding the obscene salaries, but cutting out football outright just doesn't seem possible for me. So, I've gone halfway - I've cut out baseball and most basketball. I'm working on cutting out hockey, depending on how the Habs are doing!