Saturday, February 02, 2019

God Bless Brigid!

Image result for st brigid art

I realize now that I'm a day late, but I did think that St. Brigid's Day was February 2nd. There are three patron saints for Ireland -- Brigid, Patrick, Columba -- but we'd probably all concede that in North America Patrick gets all the love and Bride or Brigid is virtually unknown. It is Patrick whose day is marked with the goofy party hats, green beer, and shamrocks coming out the wazoo. St. Patrick's Day is March 17th, which is a Sunday this year, so it's likely that many a congregation will acknowledge this saint.

Image result for st brigid cross

Pity poor Brigid, as a neglected matron saint. She is a remarkable figure in Celtic spirituality, even if she is something of a legendary figure yet is not likely to be celebrated tomorrow, According to tradition she was the abbess of a convent, perhaps consecrated as a bishop, and renowned for her commitment to hospitality. There are wells dedicated to Brigid all over Ireland, sources of sacred water reputed to have healing powers. And Brigid is the one who has a famous prayer/poem attributed to her.

I would like to have the men of Heaven In my own house;
With vats of good cheer
Laid out for them
I would like to have the three Marys
Their fame is so great.
I would like people
From every corner of Heaven.
I would like them to be cheerful
in their drinking,

I would like to have Jesus too
Here amongst them.
I would like a great lake of beer
For the King of Kings,
I would like to be watching Heaven’s family
Drinking it through all eternity.
 
Forget Patrick. God bless Brigid!
 
Image result for st brigid art
 
St. Bride, John Duncan - 1913.



 

No comments: