Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Psalms & a Fumbling Pastor

 


 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

Psalm 23 King James Version 

A couple of weeks ago I shared in a blog entry that I'd experienced two dreams which involved religion, one of which was scripture. It was actually the 23rd Psalm, and in the dream I was grappling with the order of the first few phrases. This was actually not far from the truth of my experience during ministry when a parishioner in a home setting or hospital bed would ask if we could repeat this psalm/prayer of comfort.

 I had a travel bible which I carried with me for visits, most times, but not always. It was the New Revised Standard Version but I pasted the King James Version of this psalm inside the cover because it was the one most of these elders had learned as children. When I forgot to bring along this bible I would fumble about with the "maketh" and "leadeth" and other 17th century phrases. Sometimes they were the shepherds and I was feeling sheepish. Some pastor (which means shepherd.)!

This dream prompted something in me and we'll be engaging in a three-week study of the psalms at Trenton United during February. Here is the announcement. You are welcome to "joineth" us.

The Gift of the Psalms
A responsive psalm from the prayer book of the 150 psalms was once a weekly, and perhaps rote, element of worship. 
Can the psalms, with their acknowledgement of joy and sorrow and even anger, still have a place in our lives? 
Does God speak to us through these prayers of the Judeo/Christian tradition? 
Join us in a three-week exploration of the psalter (book of psalms) including those which are some of our favourite hymns.
Wednesdays, February 1, 8, 15 at 10:30 AM, in person and online. 

Unto the hills around do I lift up my longing eyes
O whence for me shall my salvation come, from whence arise? 
from God the Lord doth come my certain aid,
from God the Lord who heaven and earth hath made.

Psalm 121, verse 1, Voice United 842 (also in Mohawk and Ojibwe)


No comments: