Sunday, January 01, 2023

Resolution of a Devious, Be-wildered, Outsider

 

 

                                                      Ruth on Change Islands, Newfoundland 

Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth;
    break forth into joyous song and sing praises.

                                           Psalm 98:4 NRSVue

 When Jesus saw the crowds, he went up the mountain, and after he sat down, his disciples came to him. And he began to speak and taught them...

                                                  Matthew 5:1-2 NRSVue

Devious: definition 

(of a route or journey) longer and less direct than the most straightforward way.
"they arrived at the town by a devious route"

When I retired from congregational ministry five and half years ago I wrote that it was my goal to become more of a "bewildered outsider." a play on words to describe my commitment to enhancing my wellbeing and deepening my faith through time spent outdoors. I think I inserted a hyphen in "be-wildered" to emphasize that this wasn't about being "dazed and confused." It celebrates the enchantment of Creation and Creator. And while "outsider" conjures up not belonging, for me it is about being a member of the "communion of saints" which is all living creatures. 

Despite the hectic pace of ministry I always endeavoured to include rambling and paddling into my life, from the very beginning. Well before my ordination this was a shared interest with Ruth, and as children came along we figured out how to do this together. Looking back it seems that some of our adventures were a bit risky yet all three of our adult kids love the outdoors today.

As we begin 2023 I want to add another word to the phrase "devious." Again, what immediately comes to mind is someone sneaky or underhanded in their dealings with others. There is an alternate definition which is following a route other than the established way. 

In retirement we've done well with including time outside into our lives, nearly every day, and we make a conscious effort to acknowledge the Creator and the gifts to our senses during most outings. This has been immeasurably enriching, and a form of prayer.

What I haven't done is initiate opportunities to include others as a collective, "congregational" activity. I have been involved in the Algonquin Park Outdoor Ministry and a couple of other initiatives but it's been limited. Mind you, half of my retirement has been during the pandemic, which we all know knocked our best laid plans sideways, Getting outside saved our souls during the grimmest days of the pandemic but gathering wasn't possible, for the most part. 

Looking back through the years I have many positive memories of ministry in Christ's name, including camping trips with teens and congregational hikes. 

Yet I also regret the endless hours of discussion and wrangling over the "bricks and mortar" of church life, as though physical structures mattered more than anything else. And there were rivalries between congregations who were wedded to buildings which are now shuttered. It might be an exaggeration to say that choirs brawled over choir gowns, but it came close at times.  I estimate that the congregations I served collectively spent more than a million dollars on pipe organs, and while all of those churches are still open the musical instruments simply aren't used to anything like full effectiveness. 

Efforts to get people to think differently were often resisted and rebuffed, and some folk were just plain mean. Lots of them have gone to their eternal reward... or somewhere. Why, when Jesus ministered outside for so much of his ministry did we Christians become such rigid insiders? 

In 2023 I hope to be the "devious, be-wildered, outsider" God intends me to be. I pray that you can discover less established routes to a deeper, richer faith as well. 

Perhaps there will be opportunities to join with others in doing so, for the sake of all our souls and the health of the planet. 

3 comments:

kb said...


Yes, I love the idea of church-based or faith-based outdoor ministry -- getting outside the walls. KB

David Mundy said...

Some of the most meaningful faith conversations I had with young people through the years were the spontaneous ones around campfires or on walks, including one with Lisa as we walked across frozen Anderson Lake at the Anishnabe Spiritual Retreat Centre when she was perhaps 16 or 17. And think of the bonding which occurred for the canoe-trip group of women from St. Andrew's which continues to this day.

kb said...

Yes she has talked about that youth retreat at Anishnabe as being very important to her. And then there were the "Take A Hike" experiences with the congregation! And of course our womens' canoe trips. Unforgettable. KB