Thursday, March 02, 2023

Jackassery & God's Steadfast Love


                                                                        Horse + Donkey = Mule 

 I will instruct you and teach you the way you should go;

    I will counsel you with my eye upon you.
 Do not be like a horse or a mule, without understanding,
    whose temper must be curbed with bit and bridle,
    else it will not stay near you.

 Many are the torments of the wicked,
    but steadfast love surrounds those who trust in the Lord.
 Be glad in the Lord and rejoice, O righteous,
    and shout for joy, all you upright in heart.

                                        Psalm 32   NRSVue

jack·ass·er·y

  1. foolishness or stupidity.
    "he used to entertain the audience with general jackassery"

There are many marvellous words in the English language, ripe for the picking. One of my favourites is "jackassery", which goes back to the 18th century, yet is so appropriate for the time in which we live. We witness so much general and specific foolishness and doltish behaviour in various arenas, not the least of which is the braying of politicians. 

I have been trying to keep up with my resolve to read the psalm for the day and saw in yesterday's Psalm 32 a warning against being akin to a head-strong horse or mule, straying from God in our transgressions. I've discovered that a jackass is not a mule, and all burros are not jackasses, important information for everyday living. We can make the general connection, just the same. How did it take me a "donkey's years" to discover all this?

I have to confess that there are times when I am a jackass myself, doing and saying things of which I am far from proud, and it's necessary to be humble and contrite -- not always my strongest attributes -- and to invite God to rein me in. You can decide on the best likeness above. 

We can give a "shout for joy" that God readily welcomes us back into the paddock with steadfast patience and love.  

I was asleep at the wheel when it came to St. David's Day on March 1, even though he is my namesake. I catch up in today's Groundling blog groundlingearthyheavenly.blogspot.com/2023/03/st-dav

3 comments:

Judy said...

Given the times and culture we have been born into, and the general "me first" attitude that is so ingrained in our world, I think it is safe to say we are all prone to "jackassery" and all guilty of the same, more than once in our lives. I saw a meme on Facebook this morning that said "Jesus never says "this is the last time I try to put you together again"..."

Thank God for grace and mercy!

kb said...

David, a jackass is always a male.(Seriously).- KB

David Mundy said...

Hehaw, Kathy, hehaw - although you are correct. Given my gracious spirit and commitment to inclusivity I am open to coining the term Jillassery.

And yes, Judy, Jack and Jillassery do seem to be on the rise. I am grateful for Jesus' patience and God's mercy.