Monday, March 06, 2023

What Makes Us Happy?



Happy are those

    who do not follow the advice of the wicked
or take the path that sinners tread
    or sit in the seat of scoffers,
but their delight is in the law of the Lord,
    and on his law they meditate day and night.
They are like trees
    planted by streams of water,
which yield their fruit in its season,
    and their leaves do not wither.
In all that they do, they prosper.
                         Psalm 1:1-3 NRSVue
It might seem crazy what I am 'bout to say
Sunshine, she's here, you can take a breakI'm a hot air balloon that could go to spaceWith the air, like I don't care, baby by the way
Huh (Because I'm happy)Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof(Because I'm happy)Clap along if you feel like happiness is the truth(Because I'm happy)Clap along if you know what happiness is to you(Because I'm happy)Clap along if you feel like that's what you wanna do

                         Happy -- Pharrell Williams 

Do you remember the phenomenon of the song Happy by Pharrell Williams? It was definitely a bouncy ear worm that had people singing and dancing, often posting videos of there efforts. In Pharrell's music video he's actually singing with a very exuberant church choir at one point.  

Just before we headed into Trenton United Church for worship yesterday I stayed in our vehicle to listen to the end of a CBC Radio The Sunday Magazine interview with a happiness researcher. He is the latest in a line of researchers in a project that goes back to the 1930s, although the focus has become specifically the happiness of subjects in recent years.

 When asked about what contributes to happiness he immediately said healthy and meaningful relationships, and that loneliness contributes to unhappiness. He also conceded that even simple interactions such as a brief chat with a store clerk or cashier can make a difference, along with more recent forms of connection such as Zoom.

Before church I was at the gym and spoke briefly and amiably with a couple of guys I see there regularly. I don't know the name of one and only the first name of the other but there is a social aspect. Does this make me happy? I do think it lifts my mood. Over the years a number of people have found out that I'm a minister and have "talked religion" with me openly.

When I did make into the sanctuary at Trenton UC yesterday I did a bit of pre-worship schmoozing with folk, including a couple of children. While this used to be the "holy hush" time in lots of congregations it is important to connect, and there was a sense of this throughout the service.

I was taken by the CBC interview because I have been making an effort to read the psalm for the day since our Psalm Study group and four of them include the words "happy are they" or words like this phrase. In these psalms -- 1, 32, 122, 128-- we're reminded that we will be happy in right relationship with God, which is something we affirm when we join together each week.  In fact, "happy" is the first word of the psalms, our book of praise, so we really should pay attention. 

Oh yes, I was out for an early walk along the Moira River and saw a bald eagle on her nest. Now that makes me happy!

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbZSe6N_BXs

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/sunday/the-sunday-magazine-for-march-5-2023-1.6766910


2 comments:

roger said...

I know what you mean about the bald eagle nest! There's a nest on the property a few hundred metres from us, and we see the eagles fly over our property daily. I also love seeing the many turtles that surround our dock in the summer, sticking their heads out of the water for a few seconds before going under again.

Nature makes me happy. Doing something nice for someone makes me happy. Seeing the Leafs lose makes me the happiest.

David Mundy said...

It should make us all happy that the eagle population in Ontario has rebounded over the decades, and that PEC has lots of turtles, including snappers. If a fan of the sad-sack Habs in made happier by the occasional loss of a team bound for the play-offs, I'm content.