Saturday, March 23, 2024

Water for Peace in a Thirsty World


 I've got peace like a river

I've got peace like a riverI've got peace like a river in my soulI've got peace like a riverI've got peace like a riverI've got peace like a river in my soul
I've got love like an oceanI've got love like an oceanI've got love like an ocean in my soulI've got love like an oceanI've got love like an oceanI've got love like an ocean in my soul
I seem to be a day behind on a lot of things which could certainly be age related! Twenty four hours off Forests Day and now World Water Day. 
Yet when I saw the theme for this United Nations Day -- Water for Peace -- I just had to play catch-up. As a kid we sang what we didn't know then was an African-American spiritual. If memory serves me correctly there were actions as well, although I've never been adept at aerobic songs. Between this chorus and the gospels telling us that Jesus is both the Prince of Peace and Living Water I just had to acknowledge the occasion. 
This year’s theme is ‘Water for Peace’, which focuses on the critical role water plays in the stability and prosperity of the world.

When water is scarce or polluted, or when people have unequal or no access, tensions can rise between communities and countries. 

More than 3 billion people worldwide depend on water that crosses national borders. Yet, out of 153 countries that share rivers, lakes and aquifers with their neighbours, only 24 countries report having cooperation agreements for all their shared water. 

We can be grateful for the water agreements Canada has established with the United States for the St. Lawrence River and the Great Lakes and the Columbia River Treaty. A few days ago I wrote about the Acid Rain Treaty the two countries established during the PM Mulroney years that vastly improved air and water quality. 

I have written about the joint statement Roman Catholic bishops in the US and Canada released regarding the Columbia River Watershed 25 years ago, an impressive document. 

As the demands for water around the planet increase it becomes a more precious and contentious commodity, so we can't take this peace for granted. We can also ask why successive federal governments have failed Indigenous communites in ensuring clean, safe water on both sides of the border. 

I've got joy like a fountainI've got joy like a fountainI've got joy like a fountain in my soulI've got joy like a fountainI've got joy like a fountainI've got joy like a fountain in my soul
I've got peace, love and joy like a riverI've got peace, love and joy like a riverI've got peace, love and joy like a river in my soulI've got peace, love and joy like a riverI've got peace, love and joy like a riverI've got peace, love and joy like a river in my soul.

2 comments:

roger said...

It's been an interesting transition for us, moving from Cobourg to Prince Edward County a couple of years ago. Now being on a well which has run dry a few times already, I can tell you we absolutely do not take water for granted. I was celebrating our recent snowfall not only because it helps the farmers, but it'll be good for our well.

I remember living in a first nations community in northern Saskatchewan many years ago, and the only water I had was delivered by truck and poured into a large tank in my basement. Sometimes the pipe would move during the fill up, and water would pour down my basement wall. I had to be very careful about water usage, because if the two guys who filled up the tank were not available, I had to wait until they were. There were times I carried buckets of water from the police station(next to my house) to pour into the toilets in my house, and vice versa, during those "dry" times.

All this to say, I view water as very precious and not to be wasted!

David Mundy said...

Really good examples, Roger. Although none of us wants to run out or water or be forced to tote it, it would probably be a reality check for all of us if we experienced water scarcity along the way. We do tend to take it for granted.