Sunday, June 09, 2024

The United Church at 100: "I'm not dead yet!"

 


United Church of Canada members have been invited to acknowledge this Sunday closest to the anniversary of our denomination as we embark on the 100th year since the inaugural gathering at the Mutual St. Arena in Toronto. 

There was a great sense of promise and conviction that the Holy Spirit was at work as most of the Methodists, Congregationalists, and Presbyterians in Canada united to form this Protestant denomination. An elderly member in one congregation I served was in attendance as a girl at that first service and could recall the sense of excitement.

For decades the United Church was a vigorous presence in this country, the largest Protestant body, with a strong emphasis on social justice. The UCC was a leader in so many ways, some of which I'm sure I'll acknowledge during the year.


                                                           Mutual St. Arena in June, 1925

Let's be honest though, the shine is long gone from our denomination, as is the case with so many mainline/old-line churches in Canada. Conservative Christians were quick to claim that our decline was due to support for LGBTQ2S+ persons yet we are far from alone in drastically shrinking numbers. And in a secularized society, evangelical and fundamentalist churches are also feeling the challenge to retain their flocks, particularly young people. 

As we enter our 100th year I must admit that I wonder what the next decade will bring to our aging congregations, let alone the next century. Often obituaries will refer to the deceased as in their __th year, and the symbolism isn't lost on me. I grew up as a Baby Boom child in what was arguably the heyday of the United Church in the 1950s and 60s. My ordination class in 1980 was the largest before a steady decline. In my own ministry I experienced active congregations with plenty of young families for decades. 

I feel that I was blessed in the midst of huge change, and what has unfolded saddens me.Yet we're grateful to be part of a UCC congregation that continues to engage the community around it in Christ's name. Yesterday the Pride in the Park event in Belleville had a booth from Trenton UC, the only one from a church through the past few years. The meal ministry and Winter warming centre make a difference. And we worship with enthusiasm and welcome for all. 

I admire the faithfulness of congregants and clergy (our pastor son included) who continue to follow Christ and declare "I'm not dead yet" to borrow the wonderful line from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. 




2 comments:

Judy said...

When I think of the courage it took for the original denominations to unite as one church, 99 years ago, I cannot help but wish we could have the same faith today, that God will be with us as we unite again and make necessary changes to be One, as God's people in our community. God's Holy Spirit never fails...

David Mundy said...

We were almost there with the Anglicans, Judy, but decided to lie down until the feeling went away. I'm with you that we will need to be "deep, bold, and daring" as the people of Christ.