Thursday, January 07, 2010

Northern Exposure



Some crazy young religious extremist climbs on a plane with the goal of slaughtering innocent passengers and suddenly our world is thrown into terrorism alert once again. I'll tell you, if I was carrying explosives ( I have not, nor will I ever!) I wouldn't hide them in my underwear, just in case it didn't work. There's a scar you wouldn't want.

There are so many aspects to this story. Do you notice that Christians did not take to the streets in their thousands to protest this heinous act attempted on the day we celebrate our saviour's birth?

It's the aftermath that I find really intriguing. Now we will have even more stringent security measures which may include full body scans. Some people say "no problem" while others are deeply offended at the notion of airport employees looking at their "wobbly bits" to quote Bridget Jones. I couldn't care less, or at least that's what I think sitting at my computer. Modesty might kick in as I pass through the pearly gates.

My warped brain went to the Genesis story of Adam and Eve. They were fine with being naked until they were tempted to eat of the forbidden fruit. Suddenly they were reaching for the fig leaves rather than the figs. I wonder if it just a figment (sorry) of our imaginations that we can cover up, whether physically or psychologically or spiritually. We think we have covered up the lumps and bumps and don't want to be exposed.

What do you think about the airport scanners? What about the other aspects of hiddenness? Are you a private person or an open book? Is it none of my business?


4 comments:

roger said...

Terrorism has been around for many, many years, however 9/11 was the event that made us in the west feel much more vulnerable. That is obvious. It is more than a cliche to say that life changed for us in North America after that day.

It is important to realize that yes, a terrorist plot was unfoiled on Christmas Day that was directed at an american airline, however since 9/11, there have been other less publicized terrorist attempts that were prevented that were also aimed at North American interests.

So, yes, I am in favour of airport scanners. We need to find that fine line in which we do everything we possibly can to prevent terrorism - including increasingly prioritizing intelligence-based policing - and maintaining a way of life that respects privacy and freedom.

Something else that would be nice, and hasn't seemed to happen much so far, is for world leaders of all religions and cultures to denounce violence of any kind. We need to hear their voices more than we have.

Anonymous said...

Welp, I suppose the scans are necessary but I gotta say, I will probably just opt to stay home. I don't even open the front blind in our house until after I am fully dressed and out of my housecoat for the day. The plants miss the morning light on weekends.

Laura said...

Just thinking about how much energy, time and money we can spend "covering up", both primping ourselves physically with make up clothes, hair cuts etc but more draining can be the energy we can invest in creating public personas that supposedly cover the "bumps and lumps" of our humanity...

I always find Psalm 139 comforting, "You have searched me and known me. You know when I sit and when I rise, you perceive my thoughts from afar.....For you created my inmost being, you knit me together in my mother's womb.I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfuuly made, your works are wonderful, I know that full well." No scan needed! How many relationships can we truly say that we can divest all of our "cover up" energy and divert it into "just being" together? What a gift.

Anyway, I think I am a bit off the scanner topic, and although I don't favour abolishing clothes althogether, if I need to be scanned in the name of safety, I'm okay with it. How different can we all be?

I agree though with Johnny... prioritizing intelligence and world leaders that make peaceful solutions would be a more procative focus, rather than catching it on a scanner,mere moments before potential tragedy occurs.

David Mundy said...

Great scripture example Laura -- why didn't I think of Psalm 139?

I too agree with johnny that leaders need to be relentless in condemning violence, especially leaders of faith communities.

And pupil, the great thing about responding on line is that you can tell us you're in a tiara and ball gown and we'll never know the difference.