Thursday, January 14, 2010

Serving God and the Bishop


One of our daughters gave me The Bishop's Man for Christmas, a novel written by journalist Linden MacIntyre. It was the surprise winner of the Giller Prize, although once I read it I could understand why it was chosen.

I must confess to a positive bias as soon as I started reading because it is set in a part of Cape Breton I could picture. Breathtaking and harsh landscape. The bishop's man of the title is a priest who has been chosen to address awkward and potentially litigious situations. He does this work for years without giving much thought to his role, nor can he be recognized because of the delicate nature of his work.

This novel is beautifully written with many lovely turns-of-phrase and insightful passages. It explores the disturbing desire of the Roman Catholic to mask situations of abuse and scandal through the years. But it is not heavy-handed. In fact, it helps the reader to see that not all is as it seems in terms of our opinions about priests, and anyone in religious leadership, for that matter. And that serving religious authority is not the same as serving God, although differentiating between the two can become confusing.

I would certainly recommend The Bishop's Man. Has anyone else read it? Do you plan to read it?

4 comments:

roger said...

You lost me in your first sentence, with the word "novel". I stick to non-fiction, much to the frustration of my family.

However, if I can plug another book, it would be "American Raj" by Eric Margolis. It gives another perspective of the muslim world that makes a great deal of sense and I found myself having a few "aha" moments.

Laura said...

I was going to ask you if you had read this one. The reviews looked appealing. I will add it to my list? (which doesn't necessarily mean we'll be able to discuss it before the kids go off to college...but it is on the radar, on your good advice)

David Mundy said...

Definitely worthwhile Laura.

I enjoy non-fiction as well, Johnny, but so much of it is an author's attempt to make a meaningful narrative from the facts as he or she interprets them. Fiction is the imaginative narrative which invites us in. I'll take the best of both worlds.

Unknown said...

Your welcome. :)

Love Joc