Friday, October 22, 2010

The Gathering Place

Wherever two or three gather in my name, I will be there. Jesus

I want to update you about a really positive experience I am having with a group of good-humoured, committed and compassionate Christians. A couple of the members of the Bowmanville ministerial had the seed of an idea for a regular community meal for those who might benefit by getting together with others to be both physically and spiritually nourished. I talked to them about providing some "seed money" from a bequest left to St. Paul's by a wonderful woman who was deeply committed to outreach.

We have lot of folk in our downtown who live in group homes, boarding and rooming houses, who spend a fair amount of time in isolation. Some have mental health issues and others have been essentially tossed to the curb of life. Making Connections Clarington already provides a drop-in two days a week and we hope this meal which we are calling The Gathering Place will complement this important work.

What has unfolded is an initiative by our ministerial, largely driven by lay people from five congregations and counting. I have been chairing the meetings but these folk are really motivated to make this happen. It has been a pleasure to see Christians from other congregations in action, as well as the volunteers from St. Paul's. I leave each meeting feeling better about Christian community beyond our own walls.

Please pray for our efforts and for the first meal which will take place Friday, December 3rd. If you would like to help that evening, or on other occasions, we will be recruiting volunteers. It is a great way for young people to learn about Christian service.

Any comments or thoughts?

4 comments:

roger said...

That is great, and I would like to help out on December 3 and on other occasions!

Deborah Laforet said...

I wish I could help out! Thanks for sharing this story. It's one of the good news stories within our Church (not just the United Church) that need to be shared. Our faith is about reaching out as Jesus did and this is a great example of discipleship!

Laura said...

Eight of St Paul's high school aged teens were in Oshawa last night scraping plates, bussing and washing tables at St Vincent's Kitchen. It was hard work both physically and spiritually.

During the prayer before they opened the doors to the crowds (180 served) outside, the St Joe's Friday night team leaders prayed for the service of St Vincent's, and for the new ventures (Gathering Place) in Bowmanville.


As one patron of St Vincent's hospitality last night told me as he ate his dinner, "I eat here but I also serve here. I stay and clean up after I eat, and drive the truck that picks up food once a week. I do it because I have to. I have to serve my Lord." Amen.

David Mundy said...

All recruits happily accepted Johnny! You're right Deb, this is a good news story, and actually a good news Christian community story. Churches tend to stay isolated from each other across denominational lines, so the spirit of cooperation is impressive.

Thanks Laura for reminding us that there is already a strong contingent of St. Paul's people who volunteer with St. Vincent's Kitchen, along with those who are involved in Making Connections Clarington. And thank you and parents who took our young people this past Friday.