Saturday, October 09, 2010

Give Peace a Chance


If John Lennon had not been shot and killed by Mark Chapman 30 years ago he would have turned 70 today. Lennon was a member of the rock/pop group the Beatles, as most of the planet knows. He was one half of what was perhaps the best songwriting duo in the history of rock.

Lennon was controversial through the years, especially early on when he quipped that the band had become more popular than Jesus. He said this in a British interview but it wasn't until it was published in an American magazine four months later that it became a huge issue. That was 1966. In 1971 Lennon's single Imagine envisioned a world of peace that didn't include religion. It was a beautiful and provocative song which has been interpreted in a variety of ways.

Some of you will remember the "bed-in" which took place in a hotel room in Montreal in 1969. John and his wife Yoko were surrounded by an eclectic group of friends while they all sang Give Peace a Chance.

We were living in Newfoundland in 1980 when Lennon was shot, having moved there a few months earlier to serve a five-point pastoral charge. We commiserated with my brother who was there for a visit.

Any Lennon/Beatles memories out there? A favourite song? Any comments on Lennon as a theologian or anti-theologian?

5 comments:

Laurie said...

"Imagine" is in my opinion one of the better songs ever written. I think it would be a better world if we lived like the song. Have been listening to John Lennon and the Beatles today.

roger said...

My only comment is that there is a certain United Church minister who, many years ago, had an uncanny resemblance to John Lennon! Aren't you glad you shared those old photos with us?lol

David Mundy said...

Godd idea to go down a musical memory lane Laurie.

The hair was long enough johnny, but the nose just isn't right.

Susan said...

The Beatles mania happened just before and as I started school and I never became entralled by their music - as a group or individuallly. I do remember the news story of Lennon's quote and of his murder - I could tell you the decade but not the specific date of his death. The only Beatle song that I know is Yesterday - I do not know Imagine. I can say the same things about Michael Jackson - I would be able to name 1 or 2 of his songs but I would be hard press to name more. I enjoy music but my musical tastes are more: ballad, soft pop, musicals, big band, and instrummental styles.

David Mundy said...

If you're only going to know one Beatles song, Yesterday is a good one.