Sunday, October 31, 2010

Sainthood

This morning 31 red roses will be placed in a vase at the front of the St. Paul's sanctuary as 31 names are said aloud. These names are of individuals who have died during the 12 months since the previous All Saints Day. Some of the loved ones named were members of the St. Paul's congregation. Others are siblings, parents, relatives, and friends who are cherished by those who heard the invitation to include their names today.

As the list was assembled during the past couple of weeks I have been aware of the weight of loss and the gravity of love represented in each name. In many instances I have presided at memorials and funerals. We have upheld many through our prayer ministries. No doubt some family members would smile at the thought of their loved ones as "saints," but we are using a broader definition of those loved by God and others. We do this as the Christian community with gratitude for lives shared with us and in resurrection hope.

Are you one of the family and friends who have requested a rose in honour of your loved one? Does it help to have a tangible gesture such as this one in a service of worship? Is it hopeful?

5 comments:

Lynnof60 said...

I was so sorry to miss the service this morning, however, there was a 'sump pump' issue and I didn't want to go far! To have Andy's name mentioned in a church where many people knew him - to share the memory of him would have been very meaningful. Andy would understand the 'sump pump' issue. If he had been here I wouldn't have had the issue!
I decided to go to church here as it was close to home. It was a very good service but only had 2 children! I realized how much children add to our Sundays (sorry, a little off topic).

Laura said...

I was grateful to be able to read through those names. Many I was aware of, but I had missed some and am glad to be able to add them to my prayers,and just to know and understand what loads these folks are carrying. Part of our work, as a community of faith (or a community of saints) is to share both the joys and the burdens we carry.

As an aside the Sunday School is using a reading from Ephesians, supporting our year-long theme of Growing Christians which refers to the "communion of saints" (a phrase I love, finding it so humbling yet so hopeful)

And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge--that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God." -- Ephesians 3:14-19.
...

mkps said...

This was very well done this morning and powerful. In particular, I appreciated the 'one other' rose that included at the end of that part of the service.

My brother-in-law passed away this summer and I did not think to put his name in for a rose. He was neither a member of our congregation or a "saint" by any definition of the word, but I was able to remember him in my own small way during this time. Thank you David.
And Lynn, as to your "off-topic" comment about children in church, in my opinion, we saw again this morning why we have so many children in church - a great program/party for our kids downstairs and a seven year girl reading scripture for her first time, upstairs! We include, stimulate, nuture, and find many places for our children to have a part. Thanks again, David, Laura, Cherri....etc.

IanD said...

Yesterday was excellent. There were two names in particular that I was glad to see, and whose memory stirred me quite often during the service.

It was a great day.

David Mundy said...

You supported Andy in life Lynn, so we were able to remember him Sunday in death.

I was struck by the family members who came to worship who are not actually part of St. Paul's, some coming a distance to participate.

You are right Ian about stirring memories. It happened for me as well.

Thanks for that scriptural reference Laura. I appreciate that passage and had it on a card on my desk for years.

On the subject of children, I agree Lynn and mksp (aren't you a food additive?)our kids are wonderful and Grace was, well, gracful in the way she read scripture.