Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Glory

It's not easy for clergy to assess what happens through Lent, Holy Week, Easter. On Thursday evening we had the best-in-my-ministry attendance for the service, strong on Friday, rather disappointing on Easter morning. Certainly everyone who played a role of leadership in all the services from Palm Sunday to Easter did a splendid job. Our choirs and Loaves and Fishes were dedicated, as usual, the young people led as though they were born to it (thanks Laura), and our behind-the-scenes Worship and Music committee and office staff made everything look effortless.


I sat outside for a while on Saturday afternoon, a blessedly quiet interlude, and read a novel. My camera was by my side and I caught the Goldfinches at the feeder. With the late Easter this year I watched these finches go from a rather dull pale brown to brilliant yellow as the mating plumage of the males came into full glory. Lent means "lengthening," as in lengthening days, and we all appreciate the movement toward light in the season. I had never really thought about the brightening feathers of a tiny bird representing the movement toward Easter brilliance before.

And wouldn't you know it, the Google homepage tells me that today is the birthday of the ultimate bird nerd, John James Audubon.


Add anything that strikes your fancy good readers.

7 comments:

IanD said...

Hard to see anything with all of this rain! (Although, I suppose it's better than snow.)

Nan said...

My daughter had this posted on her facebook page for Easter morning. I thought it worth sharing.
"For I remember it is Easter morn,
And life and love and peace are all new born. ~Alice Freeman Palmer" It's a lovely thought and I think of it as I look at our daffodils out in full bloom at the front of the house and listen to the birds.

roger said...

I don't think I have ever looked forward to spring so much. I think I have less tolerance for winter each year, and probably hibernate more and more.

I'll take the rain over the snow any day!

Laurie said...

I am with Ian and johnny, rain is better than snow. I did attend the Easter Sunday service. It was good. The music was great, really liked the kites. I have often thought communion doesn't really fit with Easter Sunday. Just seems a little out of place with the joy.
Watching the blue birds build their nests today.

TAFFY said...

I attended both the Maundy Thursday service and both services on Easter Sunday,WOW! what uplifting services they all were,youth,music,amazing messages,communion on Easter Sunday,to me,it just reminds me once again, of the Easter message.
Nan,my daffs.are not yet blooming,yes Ian,better than snow!
Taffy.

Deborah Laforet said...

It's interesting hearing everyone talk about snow. Today is May 1st. There is about a foot of snow on the ground here in Saskatchewan. We had a blizzard yesterday and the robins were struggling against the wind. I am looking forward to seeing the gold finches.

David Mundy said...

I'm relieved that you haven't been flooded out Deb, although I'm sure you aren't thrilled by snow.

Thank you for all your responses.