Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Pulling the Wool Over Our Eyes


I hope it doesn't sound irreverent to say that there are times I look at the caskets of those I am about to commend to God's care and keeping and think they look better than any piece of furniture I own (believe me, that wouldn't be difficult.) Honestly, it seems like a lot of expense for a container which will be covered in earth and expected to eventually decompose. Oddly, the rather gentle picture of cemeteries above ground masks the environmental mess of concrete vaults and chemicals "six feet under." Decomposition doesn't happen in a hurry.


You may recall an earlier blog about the use of bamboo caskets in Britain. The latest in the UK is the woolen casket, seen above. They are very simple, yet elegant, cost about $1500 Canadian, and are made by the same company that weaves Hudson Bay blankets. I may like this idea even better than the bamboo -- so Canadian, eh? Now if they came up with a colour scheme that looks like a HB blanket...


This is really about the bigger picture of how we dispose of our mortal remains. I am all for dignity in funeral services, including the commital. Surely, though, these alternatives make more sense.


What are your thoughts? Would you be okay to be buried in your "woolies?" Buried at sea in a piece of sail cloth maybe?

6 comments:

IanD said...

Launch me into space so I can be with Scotty.

roger said...

I knew I shouldn't have read this blog on this dreary, rainy morning.

Warp factor 3, Ian.

Laurie said...

I like the wool coffin. Good idea. I also like Ian's idea, Beam me up!

David Mundy said...

You know, the temptation is there to needle you all about being Space Cadets. Actually, why not have our ashes launched into space. That's what Gene Roddenberry, the creator of Star Trek chose to do, isn't it?

Thanks to the three of you, and enjoy the brighter promise of this day.

SJD said...

Having the unfortunate experience of purchasing a coffin for a loved one I like the idea of the wooley coffin. It's just going to be burried or burned anyway.
I chose to rent a nice coffin for visitation and funeral, and a simple pine box for the creamation.
There are options, but you aren't really thinking clearly when making the arrangements. Good thing I have good friends that lead my through the nessissary process.

I hope transporter technology is perfected by the time I'm done with my earthly vessel. I
(unlike Dr. McCoy)wouldn't mind having my atoms scattered across the galaxy.

David Mundy said...

Good point about the challenges of decision-making in the midst of grief sjd.