Monday, April 18, 2011

Passover and Holy Week


Yesterday we celebrated Palm/Passion Sunday and the service included that reminder that Jesus, the Jew was in Jerusalem for the Jewish festival of deliverance called Pesach, or the Passover. The passover part has to do with the "passing over" of the homes of the people of Israel by the angel of death while they were slaves in Egypt. When Jesus joined with his disciples for what Christians call the Last Supper is was for the commemorative Pesach meal or seder and he linked his act of deliverance with the ancient story, using the unleavened bread and wine as symbols of his own broken body and shed blood.


Tonight is the beginning of Passover as well as being the second day of Holy Week and I always find it helpful that the two coincide. I may not have been paying attention, but I don't recall much emphasis in the church of my earlier years on the important connection between the two. Yet it is almost impossible to understand one without the other. On Maundy Thursday we will hear the stories of deliverance from both traditions and we will join around a table of communion which we hope will recall that unique Passover meal of long ago. I avoid recreating seders because I feel that it is disrespectful of a living religion, but the two are intertwined.


What about you -- do you remember hearing much about Passover when you were younger? Does it help to know what our roots are as Christians? Will you attend a Maundy Thursday service this year?

3 comments:

IanD said...

Thanks for the history lesson, David. These two aspects of each tradition I really didn't know much about.

Forail said...

As I continue the journey into my Christian faith, I am constantly reminded about the number of times my Jewish faith, and my Christian faith intertwine. It so happened that my Christian faith journey started around this time of year.

Having grown up in the Jewish faith, I am intimately familiar with the "Passover" story. Initially, as I was learning about Christianity, I was surprised to find out that "The Last Supper" was held over a sedar. From that point, I started looking at the Christian teachings, from a mixed point of view.

I see many of Jesus' teachings come right from the Torah, as well as some newer ideas, and lessons from God. I watch closely in scripture and in hymns for where the two faiths intertwine. It warms my heart being able to see my Jewish values and my newer Christian values working in unison.

To my Jewish friends: Chag Pesach Sameach!
To my Christian friends: I look forward to celebrating Christ's resurrection on Easter Sunday with you.

David Mundy said...

Thanks Guys. I appreciate you offering your Jewish/Christian perspective Adam. I'm glad you have dual citizenship!