Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Life is Not Fair. Look Ahead.



Life is not fair. I wish it was, and that prayer and positive thinking could always make good things happen. But it just doesn't work this way and it has actually been ministry in Christ's church that has convinced me of this. I have seen many good and faithful people struggle with hard times, suffer, even die prematurely.

I have also had my faith strengthened by the courage lots of them demonstrate, and their refusal to descend into pity or anger at God. I don't understand the reasons or the outcomes, but I have been blessed and honoured to be a being a companion of those who move through the valley of the shadow of death with a strong sense of God's presence.


It sure seems as though life was unfair to Jack Layton. A number of friends and pundits are saying so, and how can we deny it? The guy didn't let cancer or surgery deter him in his goal to make the NDP a strong political party in this country and it looked as though his perserverence paid off. And for decades he has been a voice for the voiceless. You didn't have to share his politics to realize Canada needed Jack Layton as a social conscience.


But a new cancer creeps into his body and mere months after his political triumph he succumbs to death. As Julia, a mentally and physically challenged adult once said to me after the death of a friend and housemate: "dying sucks!'


Jack may have felt that the return of cancer was an unfair blow. But he left this life encouraging others; the sick, the young, those who want to make a difference through politics. Incredibly dignified, and those final words have grabbed my emotions repeatedly:


My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.


Amen. Thoughts?

5 comments:

Laurie said...

A sad day for Canada. He will be missed. Spent yesterday in shock. I guess we stand firm and try to change the world.

IanD said...

I never subscribed to his party's politics, though I admired his gumption and the way he enthusiastically took his message to the people.

I remember watching his performance in the English language leaders' debate and thinking, "I can't believe I'm seeing this, but Jack Layton clearly 'won' this thing." For the first time ever, he seemed positively prime ministerial.

Such a shame that he'll never get the chance to lead the country, let alone take up residence in Stornoway.

What will be interesting as all get out in the months to follow is how that rag tag NDP caucas will peform without the master at the helm. It's amazing what a change like this can do to the political landscape in a country.

roger said...

Yes, a sad day indeed. He seemed like a man of the people and truly passionate about his beliefs. I also felt that he was one of the more honest politicians.

My teenage niece wrote a letter to a number of politicans expressing her concern about the number of homeless people on the streets of Toronto. The only ones to reply to her? Jack Layton and his wife, Olivia Chow.

Jack will be missed.

Laura said...

He seemed so "real" for a politician. I echo the others on this great loss for our country.

David Mundy said...

Thanks to all of you. It is good when we are heartened by a political figure who attempts to live his or her ideals.