Friday, September 27, 2013

A Good and Managed Death



Do I, don't I? It seems that just about everyone has weighed in on the honest and articulate video released by the widow of Dr. Donald Low regarding assisted suicide. Dr. Low died recently of a brain tumour and felt that it should have been legal to hasten his death. He suggested that if the rest of us had to live one day in his illness-wracked body we would be convinced that something to aid his demise was reasonable. His purpose was to re-open the conversation about assisted suicide or managed death.

How could any of us argue with his suffering and his appeal for a managed death? Was he wrong or right? I really don't think its helpful to think in those terms. As long-time readers know, I don't see myself as particularly courageous and I wonder how well I would deal with chronic pain and suffering at the end of life.

Low's video has prompted others far more involved than I in end of life care to suggest that a managed death is the ideal for all of us and that effective palliative care is one way of moving in that direction. We have a friend who is a palliative care physician who is not opposed in principle to the possibility of hastening the end of life as an act of mercy, although she is law-abiding under current legislation. Others have expressed the concern that the vulnerable of our society, the elderly and the disabled need the protection of laws even though they are sympathetic to the realities of unreasonable prolongation of life.

What strikes me is that Dr. Low was a person of power in our society, by virtue of his position and his financial stability. This was not power he abused -quite the opposite from all accounts - but it was a reality. In addition he had a loving family which supported him and observed his wishes. He was a fortunate man in that regard. I also have little doubt that he could have arranged to terminate his life with a euthanizing cocktail if he so chose. He was making an important point about the very nebulous zone at the end of life, but his personal circumstances were different than those of many people.

The argument that we euthanize our dogs and cats rather than let them suffer has limited influence on me. We are able to exercise our own wills and make our own choices as humans. It's just not the same. But I sure don't believe in extending life no matter what, the way some over-zealous Christians want us to in a mistaken understanding of the sanctity of life.

I have no real answers, and in the meantime I will do my best to mediate Christ's compassion for those who are moving toward the finish line of this life and the starting blocks of the next.

How are you doing in this discussion folks?

A new Groundling posting today http://groundlingearthyheavenly.blogspot.ca/2013/09/the-gift-of-trees.html

5 comments:

roger said...

Such a difficult topic. Personally, I think there should be something in place to help people like Dr. Low end their lives in a merciful way. But yes, there needs to be protection for the disabled and elderly and other vulnerable people.

I definitely don't have the answers, however in my simplistic mind, I think if something were in place coupled with check and balances and ensuring that it could not be abused, then I would be in favour of that. How about that for a vague answer!

Judy said...

Well, Roger has said it well... I watched my sister die in 2008, after a long illness, and a totally debilitating stroke... her living will made it clear that she did not want to be left on life support in a situation like this - but it took 9 days for her to pass on, under palliative care conditions (which were wonderful, at KGH) . A cocktail would have been much more merciful... and I would like to think that might be available to me if my demise is to take a similar direction!

Unknown said...

I am stymied by this topic Roger you nailed it on the head with your ideas to make assited suicide a more palateable process for the masses, I too watched my best friend die of Brain cancer in one week when he started Radiation i walked in with him and by the friday i carried him in his death was mercifully quick but had he suffered more as judy says a cocktail would have helped alleve his suffering and his wifes suffering.
One must have the ability to have a death with dignity away form the nay sayers who think they should run our lives even in dieing
the question here is dignaty

Unknown said...

one more thought
God does not want us to suffer then why should society tell us how to die

David Mundy said...

I too agree with Roger that we will come to a place where death can be hastened for those who suffer while protecting the vulnerable. Our society needs to devote more resources to palliative care and to realize that since we all die, we must address the transition with dignity and practicality.