Monday, September 02, 2013

The End of Your Life



For some reason I continue to haunt libraries despite having a stack of excellent books I want to address. I noticed a "new release" book with the title The End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe and so I took it home. Yes, I signed it out first.

Schwalbe's mother, Mary, developed pancreatic cancer in her early seventies and he, along with his father and siblings supported her through her illness. Mother and son shared a great love for books and both were omnibibliovores --they seemed to have a wide-ranging curiosity in literature, biography, poetry, and virtually every other subject. Their book club is the decision to read books simultaneously and discuss them in a variety of venues, including oncology clinics and doctors' offices.

I found the book entertaining, wise, touching. In fact, my wife Ruth can't remember me being so compelled to interrupt her reading in order to foist a few paragraphs upon her. Why has this book made such an impact? I have participated in two funerals of remarkable people who died of pancreatic cancer in the past nine months and a dear family member is dealing with another form of cancer at the moment. I have an elderly mother who has led a remarkable life and loves to  read. And it is extremely well written by a son who respects and adores his mom.

While Mary insisted she was an ordinary person who had been extremely fortunate in life, she is clearly exceptional. She was a career woman before her time, and her eventual work with refugees and other displaced persons took her around the world, often into situations of considerable danger. She developed a considerable circle of friends and admirers and was recognized for her determination. Her last project, a multi-million dollar library in Afghanistan, was realized.

Son Will, is not a person of religious faith but he respected the faith, anchored in Christian community, which sustained her. She prayed for her causes and individuals, including Will. The extensive list of books they discuss is recorded at the back, and it includes the Bible, the Book of Common Prayer, and a tattered copy of a 19th century devotional book called Daily Strength for Daily Needs. This was a gift from a friend after diagnosis. Schwalbe perused it and found in outdated and odd. Yet it became a constant companion for his mother and he did discover meaningful passages including "If you do not wish for His Kingdom don't pray for it. But if you do, you must do more than pray for it; you must work for it." It was probably the last thing she read before her death and it  summed up her life.

Has anyone heard of this book? Does it intrigue you? Should it be the subject of a book club discussion?

5 comments:

shirport said...

I borrowed this book from the library earlier this summer and was very moved by it. So much so that I went and bought a copy for myself so that I could mark it up. Although the subject matter sounds depressing I found it to be anything but. For people who enjoy reading, like those in a book club, I think it will inspire you and stimulate your curiousity about a whole range of books - from The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
Kingston's Writer's Fest is coming up at the end of this month and I have my ticket to hear Will Schwalbe speak on the 27th. Can't wait.

David Mundy said...

So we found the book the same way Shirley...but was yours large print! I would agree that for a book about dying it was very positive, I suppose because it is actually about living well. Thanks for the head's up about Schwalbe gracing the Kingston Writer's Fest.

Susan said...

I was given the book as a thank you gift for being one of the co-ordinator's of our VBS day camp. It intrigues me and I can't wait to start the book and I will be recommending the book to my church book club for next year's list.

David Mundy said...

I think you will really appreciate it Susan, for a number of reasons including your love of reading.

Judy said...

Sounds like a treasure...