Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Suicide Prevention Day





I woke up this morning -well, the third or fourth time with the thunderstorm- to discover that today is World Suicide Prevention Day. I had already posted a blog but I will share a couple of thoughts about suicide as well.

Over the years I've spent time with good people who are walking through the valley of the shadow of death because hope has failed. They have gone through prolonged periods without work or are in destructive relationships or are living with mental illnesses. Sometimes they have been hospitalized, or are on leave from workplaces, but more often than not they are going about their daily activities without much that it is noticeable to others. It is the inner agony which they share with me, often at great emotional cost.

I have also had the solemn responsibility of supporting families through their grief when loved ones have taken their own lives, including presiding at funerals. I will never get accustomed to this, nor should I or anyone else.

I invite you to say prayers for those you know and don't know who may be in the grip of suicidal thoughts. We can ask God to restore hope and that the light of Christ will be present in their darkness. Pray as well for those who will always feel the loss of a family member or friend who died by suicide. Today would be a good day to reach out in love.

Comments?


4 comments:

janet.rice said...

Thanks, David. Every day I try to pray for these families - some known to me, some not.

Judy said...

I cannot imagine the pain of those who have lost loved ones - especially their children - to suicide - prayers for comfort, indeed, are efforts well spent.

Frank said...

Suicide is such a particularly vexing tragedy. It flies in the face of our overwhelming impulse to survive. I can see how surviving friends and family could view this as a form of rejection of them, which must just compound their sense of loss.
It's also why I view depression, not merely as a debilitating condition, but as a very dangerous affliction; one we should never take lightly.

David Mundy said...

Thank you, thank you, and thank you.