Sunday, November 29, 2015

All Earth is Waiting


This morning I will share with the congregation the story of Sheila Watt Cloutier, perhaps the least known famous Canadian of our time. An Inuit woman, she has received many awards for her advocacy work for peoples of the North, and for addressing the challenging realities of climate change. Her book, The Right to be Cold, touched me deeply. She writes about eating the "country food." the caribou and seal and geese which actually provide greater food value for those living in the North than the foods we eat in the south. She considers eating this food to be both physical and spiritual nourishment, a communion with God.

Image result for the right to be cold

As we share in communion on this Advent Sunday of Hope I will also speak of the climate change conference taking place in Paris over the next ten days. Leaders from 150 countries around the world will be there, and so will many spiritual leaders. Our United Church is sending a delegation of three, including former moderator, Mardi Tindal. Tindal has a personal passion for Creation Care, so she is an excellent representative, and the other two attendees have deep connections with First Nations peoples.

Please pray for the outcome of the COP21 convention in Paris. As our Advent hymn declares. all earth is waiting for God's promise for all creation.

2 comments:

Laurie said...

I just bought that book for Christmas presents. I got 2 copies and I hope the people I am giving them to will read it. It was a book that moved me greatly. Sorry I have not commented on your posts for a while. I was in the U.K. for 2 months and when we got home my computer died(very sad week) till I got a new one. Happy Advent

David Mundy said...

Welcome home Laurie, and great to hear from you. I hope the recipients of your gifts read carefully.