Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Called to Ministry

There are lots of aspects of ministry which fly under the radar of general observation in a congregation. At times I have been exasperated by those who figure that if they don't see it happening it isn't happening. In our United Church clergy are often involved in other "courts" of the broader church. Through the years I've taken on roles in Presbytery, Conference, and General Council.

Early on I trained to supervise students for the ministry and have done so in all six of my congregations, including in Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, and Ontario. Bye and large I've enjoyed the experience with men and women, young and "mature." Most of the young'uns have been quite mature, but you get the picture.

I'm currently supervising a ministry candidate who has a lot to offer the United Church. She grew up in the Pentecostal tradition where women can provide leadership and even preach on occasion but can't  be ordained to ministry. She is bright, thoughtful, and has a deep Christian faith. She is also at a  stage of life when many of us in ministry are pondering retirement but after years in academia she feels called to ministry. I feel that her call is genuine, no less valid than for a younger person. I'm glad that the United Church can give her the opportunity as a mature woman.


No comments: