Friday, September 26, 2008

Christians Vote

During the five years back in Ontario and living in Bowmanville we have lived through two municipal elections, two provincial elections, and now our second federal election. I am still waiting for a candidate from any party or any level of government to show up at my door. Was it something I said?

What would I ask about during this election? Are there questions I might pose that reflect my faith as a Christian?

Of course the economy is a pressing issue and with it the creation of jobs which are meaningful work with reasonable pay. Our area has been hard hit by the loss of manufacturing jobs.

I do feel that the environment is incredibly important and I would ask candidates to explain the position of their parties. I'm looking for straight answers on carbon reduction, support for alternate energy sources, and help for home-owners who want to reduce energy consumption.

I want to know how parties will go beyond the apology made to Aboriginal Canadians earlier this year and honour commitments around land claims and restitution.

I'm interested in views on justice, realizing that there are proposals to "toughen up" on penalties for youth. Although we probably all feel outrage when young people commit serious crimes, I know from experience (chaplain intern in a maximum security prison) that "teaching a lesson" to youth by putting them in prison is often an education in how to be a better crook.

There are others I consider important. How about you?
One more thing -- please vote!


3 comments:

Lynnof60 said...

I think I know why they're not showing up at your door...they have read your blog and are scrambling to come up with an answer to your thought provoking questions. Don't expect a knock anytime soon!

bim said...

We don't get any candidates at our door also, maybe the street we live on(low density of houses) they may spend most of the time in larger areas.Might be a thing of the past they try to get the message out via media,mail or phone.We are on one party's list have received 3 calls already but only a volunter asking if you will vote for them or a least put up a sign(i live beside a poll station)To get questions answered maybe i should go to a meet the candidates night I have never tried that.

David Mundy said...

Yup, Lynn, I guess I'm a scarey dude, although it may be a matter of size rather than the calibre of my questions.

Brian, I haven't been to a candidates' meeting either, and I think I should myself to one.

Thanks.