Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Living Life to its Fullest

The first two respondents to my blog yesterday mentioned Anne of Green Gables as an early and continuing influence on their love of reading. As coincidence or synchronicity would have it, there was an article in the Globe and Mail this morning about the sad life and tragic death of Lucy Maude Montgomery, the author of the Anne books. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080924.wmontgomeryside24/BNStory/mentalhealth/home

The Globe also had a lengthy article on the writer in last Saturday's paper, featuring her granddaughter. After years of silence the family has decided to reveal their conviction that Montgomery took her own life. Her husband, a minister lived with chronic mental illness which deeply affected their relationship. Montgomery herself dealt with recurring depression which led to her untimely death. In that era of the early twentieth century depression was neither acknowledged nor discussed.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080919.wmhmontgomery0920/BNStory/mentalhealth

Yet Montgomery created a character in Anne Shirley who was an overcomer, an indominatable spirit. Anne was something of a "drama queen" in spilling out her emotions but she had a fierce will to live life to its fullness.

As someone who is easing back to work after a period of restorative leave I can say that I know what it is like to feel depleted in body, mind, and spirit, and even though I tell people I am in the abundant life business, no one is immune from sadness. I can say that I have never felt abandoned by God, nor outside Christ's love. And I have a loving family and friends and fine people in the communities of faith I have served as a source of strength. I hope you do as well.

5 comments:

shirport said...

In the women's choir I sing in we are learning a piece called "Nada te turbe" (nothing disturb you) by the American composer Joan Szymko with text by Saint Teresa of Avila (1515-1582) Teresa was a Spanish nun and became one of the great mystics of the Roman Catholic church.
You spoke in this blog about never feeling abandoned by God. The text of this piece of music offers great comfort. Interesting how something written almost 500 years ago can still resonate with us today. God never changes:

"Let nothing disturb you,
nothing frighten you,
All things are passing.
God never changes.
Patience obtains all things.
Whoever has God lacks nothing,
God is enough"

David Mundy said...

Thanks Shirley. I would like to hear this -- do you sing solos? There is also a Taize chorus with the same title and the same opening words.

Dee Foster said...

I enjoyed reading this post. it really touched me.

There is so much in the world today that can disturb our minds...

God promised us that if we keep our minds stayed on him he will keep us in perfect peace.

I enjoyed the Anne of Greene Gables series very much.

Peace and blessings

David Mundy said...

Thanks Dee. It's always good to hear from folk south of the border.

Anonymous said...

I haven't read Anne of Green Gables, but in reading in general I have found that entering the mind of a character often illuminates the thoughts glued to the back of my own mind. That the creator of a character with an indomitable spirit would suffer depression doesn't surprise me. On some level even the most depressed person knows his/her true self to be made of light.