Monday, September 22, 2008

The Homecoming

I was warmly welcomed back into the St. Paul's fold yesterday during worship. For me it is not a matter of slipping back into the congregation after an absence. I walk into the pulpit and reassume an important role as worship leader. One of the most significant aspects of my restorative leave was being anonymous for a couple of months, something that hasn't been possible since I was a young man. With the opening of a door I was back into a very public role.

At the same time it is good to be known in a community of faith that is warm and good-humoured. The St. Paul's congregation is so responsive, so open, and while this is the norm here it isn't everywhere. It was great to see the children who had physically grown during the past five months!

It was good to know that the congregation had faired well during my absence and as I looked out I saw several new faces. I spoke with these people after worship and heard of how they found their way to 178 Church St.

This is the way it should be in a living congregation. Growth in every aspect.

No comments: