Wednesday, December 26, 2012

A Moose in a Maple Tree



We are now officially into the Christmas Season which doesn't begin in the church year until Christmas Day. This is the shortest of our liturgical seasons (12 days) and takes us through until the Day of Epiphany which is January sixth. We all know the Twelve Days of Christmas song, even if we can't remember it all.  The Christian tradition has been a shameless "borrower" from other religious traditions when it comes to the liturgical calendar and our twelve days are likely rooted in the pagan Yule celebrations.

Here is a Canadian version of the Twelve Days which is just great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw8P8L1LfDM

5 comments:

Laura said...

What a great country we call home!

Susan said...

I had not seen this version but I am thoroughly delighted by the Canadian book version of The 12 Days of Christmas entitled A Porcupine in a Pine Tree. It is a enchanting book and even features the Toronto Maple Leafs and Montreal Canadiens.

IanD said...

... and a beer ... !

Tom B said...

Wow, I love this book.. I heard about it through Archbishop Fred Hiltz. I didn't realise they had it animated.. so thanks for sharing. Susan, A Moose in a Maple Tree was the original Canadian version which came out quite a while ago. I did hear that scholastic came out with their own version recently, but I have to say A Moose in a Maple Tree is sounds much more Canadian than a Porcupine in a Pine Tree.

Tom B said...

Wow, I love this book.. I heard about it through Archbishop Fred Hiltz. I didn't realise they had it animated.. so thanks for sharing. Susan, A Moose in a Maple Tree was the original Canadian version which came out quite a while ago. I did hear that scholastic came out with their own version recently, but I have to say A Moose in a Maple Tree is sounds much more Canadian than a Porcupine in a Pine Tree.