Sunday, July 10, 2016

AIDS/HIV in the 21st Century


In the past thirty years huge strides have been made in addressing AIDS/HIV. What was initially a death sentence has become a manageable if not yet curable disease. Much of the fear and stigma has been overcome as well. When I first worked with those living with AIDS/HIV in the late 80s many were unwilling to let others know of their specific illness, even in death. Now we are aware of prominent figures such as Magic Johnson, former basketball great, who has lived for 25 years with HIV. Of course Johnson is wealthy and lives in North America. Those who live in developed countries have access to drugs which allow for reasonable health. This is not the case in developing nations.

Image result for magic johnson hiv status

The World Council of Churches made a statement recently calling for a renewed effort to combat AIDS/HIV.

Despite huge progress since AIDS was first identified 35 years ago, the threat of AIDS still haunts much of the world. 21 million people currently have no access to treatment of HIV, and AIDS-related illnesses are now the leading cause of death for adolescents in Africa. More than 2 million people are newly infected annually. The world is facing the catastrophe of 6 million AIDS-related orphans, and this figure is growing.
These shocking statistics are part of the reason why, at its Central Committee meeting in Trondheim, Norway at the end of June, the World Council of Churches (WCC) reaffirmed its commitment to eliminating AIDS as a public health threat by 2030.

We can be grateful that this organization of Christian denominations has moved beyond the harsh moral judgement of the first days of AIDS to act as a conscience for a world which in some respects has moved on from the intense awareness of the impact of this disease.

Today the gospel lesson is the parable of the Good Samaritan in Luke. We are called to bind up these wounds of affliction as people suffer globally.

Thoughts?


3 comments:

Marcelo Costa Junior said...

Hello, i am Marcelo Paes Costa Junior, and i am from Rio, in Brazil. Let me give this testimony to the public about a great herbal doctor who helped me out with my own illness. I had HIV/AIDS for over 5 years and I was almost going to the end of my life due to the way my skin looked like. All I have in my mind is to give up, because life is not interesting to me any longer. One night, my sister ran to me that she found a doctor in the internet who can cure HIV/AIDS, i was not even interested because i never believed. She help me out on everything the doctor asked for, filled the treatment form for me and even used her own money to get the medicine for me. During one week of using the medicine, I started getting more stronger, my blood started to flow normally 4 to 5 days later, I start gaining Weight, before the 3rd week, my body started developing, my skin started coming up. After a month, I went for HIV test and I was tested negative. I’m so happy that I can say I’m not an HIV/AID patient again. if you have HIV/AID or Hepatitis, or Herpes or HPV or coronary artery diseases or any sickness please contact Dr.O.Water. His email is: DRWATERHIVCURECENTRE@GMAIL.COM and His whatsapp number is : +2349050205019. I wish you good luck on this, God bless you all. i have a health group on twitter please follow me @Marcelocostapa2 and join my health group so that we can share information, create awareness and help others. You can also email me on marcelocostajunior1967@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Never give up in life they all say no cure to HIV which is a big lie I have pass through many process also i never believe there is really cure to HIV until I mean abegbe the doctor that have been helping many people for many years, I come across this doctor online when I was search for cure online I found out about this man, and to my greatest surprise this man have the herbal medicine which I have been looking for years I explain my problem to him through the email I found on someone who testify about him also, doctor abegbe write me a reply and explain how the process work so after ordering for the medicine I got it within 4 days and I took it according to the way doctor abegbe instructed, I was so happy after 3 to 4 week I took the medicine there was very big change in my health when I was done with the process I go for test, I found out I am negative that I was the day I have the tear of joy you can also get in contact with my doctor through his email now DR.ABEGBESPELLHOME@GMAIL.COM OR DR.ABEGBESPELLHOME@HOTMAIL.COM
You can also contact him foR
HERPES
CANCER
DIABETES
HPV ETC

Elizabeth Matheus said...

HELLO EVERYONE.. FEW MUNINETS TO REDY THIS INFOR ON HERPES CURE 2018..
2017 MY MOTHER WAS DIAGNOSED OF HERPES/ KNOWN AS GENITAL WARTS ,I SPENT A LOT OF MONEY ON HER MEDICATION TILL A POINT I EVEN LOST HOPE,BECAUSE MY MOTHER WAS GRADUALLY DYING AND LOST HER MEMORY TOO, I WAS SO DESPERATE TO GET MY MOTHER BACK TO NORMAL, ONE DAY MY UNCLE WHO LIVES IN LONDON UNITED KINGDOM TOLD ME ABOUT DR OLIHA ,WHO HELPED HIM GET RID OF HERPES /GENITAL WART WITH HERBAL MEDICINE AND HIS HERBAL SOAP ,I WAS SO SHOCKED WHEN HE TOLD ME ABOUT THIS ,ALTHOUGH I NEVER BELIEVE IN HERB BUT, I KEEP TO BELIEVE BECAUSE MY UNCLE CAN'T TELL ME LIES WHEN IT COMES TO HEALTH CONDITION I CONTACTED DR OLIHA VIA HIS EMAIL; OLIHA.MIRACLEMEDICINE@GMAIL.COM , YOU CAN TALK TO HIM VIA CALL OR WHATSAPP MESSENGER ON +2349038382931 , HE REPLIED AND ASK ME TO SEND MY HOME ADDRESS AND MY MOTHER'S DETAIL AND THEN I PURCHASED THE HERBAL MEDICINE,SENT ME THE HERBAL MEDICINE THROUGH COURIER SERVICE, WHEN I RECEIVED THIS HERBAL MEDICINE USED IT FOR 2 WEEKS, AND 4 DAYS OF USAGE THE WARTS FELL OFF, MY MOTHER I NOW TOTALLY CURED AND MY MOTHER IS LIVING FREE AND HAPPY AGAIN. YOU CAN TALK TO DR VIA HIS MOBILE NUMBER OR WHATS APP HIM ON +2349038382931.ALL THANKS TO DOCTOR DR OLIHA