Friday, January 23, 2009

A Day for Justice


A few weeks ago I invited the congregation to sign a petition calling for the return of teen Omar Khadr from the Guantanamo Bay detention centre in Cuba to Canada. I let people know that while Khadr may be guilty of his alleged crime in Afghanistan, he was being held without trial by the U.S. government and that there was no recognition of his age (fifteen) at the time of the incident. The United Church and other Canadian churches have tried to be a voice of conscience in this case. Jesus was direct in telling his followers that if they are faithful they will support and visit the sick and the hungry and those in prison. There was a line after the service of those willing to sign the petition at St. Paul's.

While other nations, including Britain, had petitioned for the release of their nationals to stand trial at home, the Canadian government has been silent. There has been a general recognition elsewhere that Guantanamo Bay represents a serious violation of international human rights and has probably been a centre for torture. I watched a documentary in which the U.S. military lawyer representing Khadr raised concerns that his government was ignoring its own laws and international conventions by holding prisoners without trial.

The announcement yesterday that the Obama government will close Guantanamo Bay prison is an important step toward restoring America's reputation as a defender of human rights and freedoms, rather than being a violator. President Obama actually publicly signed this into law, as pictured above. I wish our government had demonstrated the courage over the past few years to challenge, diplomatically, what we view as contraventions of democracy.
So ends America week in my blog!


2 comments:

Stacey said...

Your blog, as always, fills the void I've got as a busy mom. I don't want to just talk about my kids, autism, the laundry or my not always helpful husband. I NEED to talk about current events and how they affect my life and how the actions (or inactions) of others can impact our world. All of these conversations matter because they remind us that life exists beyond our minivans and our kitchens and we have a responsibility as humans to care for and to take care of the gifts that we have on this planet. You remind me of that every day that I read this blog and I am so grateful for it. Always- Stacey.

David Mundy said...

Hi Stacey, so good to hear from you in what I imagine is cold and sunny Calgary. I am pleased that members of our St. Paul's family who are now in Alberta, Saskatchewan, Northern Ontario and elsewhere can stay in touch.

Blessings!