Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Good Speech President Obama


I joined the countless millions around the world who watched the inauguration of President Barack Obama. As someone who speaks to a group of people every week I was in awe of Obama's oratory skills. To address such a massive crowd in such a confident and personal way, presenting a sombre message and still including a stirring note of hope is nothing short of genius.

I was struck by the many references to God during the proceedings, even though President Obama was careful to acknowledge those of different faiths, as well as those who practice no religion. There were scriptural references and allusions, words from hymns, and specific addresses to the Deity. The quartet of musicians offered a sublime arrangement of the Shaker hymn Simple Gifts. The great throng was even invited to join in the Hebrew word "amen" and did so with gusto. I love this great country of ours, but at times I weary of the political correctness which has made a religion of expunging all references to faith from the public square.

One of my favourite moments came shortly after Obama addressed the rapt crowd and people from around the world. Did you notice his older daughter lean over and say three words: "good speech Dad?" How heartwarming and delightful.

What are your thoughts about the inauguration? Were there aspects you found meaningful or hopeful?

4 comments:

Nancy said...

I watched with a group of students ages 11-13, and to my astonishment they were "glued". It was interesting to watch their faces and hear their comments. I think Obama is a very good speaker. Yes, I noticed his daughter say, "good speach dad" and commented aloud. Apparently earlier in the week she told him that his speach had better be good, so I guess she approved. It was inspiring and hopefully we will soon have someone in Canada who can pull us together as well as Obama appears to have pulled Americans together.

shirport said...

Glad you are back David. Hope your time away was inspirational and restorative.
I too found the inauguration ceremony to be very moving. Just seeing the huge crowds on the mall was awe-inspiring.It was a moment long hoped for and dreamed of in American history.
One very striking phrase in Obama's speech that caught my ear was this..."To those who cling to power through corruption and deceit and the silencing of dissent...we will extend a hand if you are willing to unclench your fist." What a powerful image.

Lynnof61 said...

It was a 'day'! I was so taken with his comments to other nations "To those leaders around the globe who seek to sow conflict or blame their society's ills on the West, know that your people will judge you on what you can build, not what you destroy." I think this is a wonderful mantra for 'life'!
I pray that he can bear the weight of the world on his shoulders for that is where we seem to be sitting. God Bless him!

David Mundy said...

Thanks for letting us know how young people have responded and for including your favorite lines. It's always interesting to find out what strikes home for individuals.