Thursday, January 20, 2011

Finding Our Way


This past Sunday a group of 24 adults, leaders and parents, gathered after worship to discuss Christian development at St Paul's. It was an attempt -- a successful one I feel -- to find out from interested parents what they like about the current program and what we might do to improve it.

The two groups of a dozen discussed questions formulated by our Joints Needs Assessment Committee. The answers were encouraging, thoughtful, and offered insights and ideas about becoming more effective. There is no blueprint for doing this well, and yet our desire is to provide the most effective opportunities for our kids to grow in Christian faith. It doesn't matter that the trend is toward aging congregations without programs for young people. We have them, and so we need to be as supportive as possible for the children themselves and their families.

Any comments from readers who were in attendance? I felt that I learned from the responses of those present. Should we do more by way of face-to-face consultation? Do we really need to be concerned about programs for children and youth?

3 comments:

IanD said...

I'm appreciative of everyone's efforts, as we were sadly unable to attend last week right after the service.

As a dad of two Sunday schoolers (whose attendance, along with their parents' is on the rise!) it's obvious that the future of St. Paul's is in the hands of those little ones downstairs. I applaud all of our adult volunteers who work with our youth, and support any direction we decide to head in.

We you consider the recent fate of the Zion church just north west of here, then it's critical that we invest in our youngest parishioners while we can.

sjd said...

Youth are our #1 top priority. There are so many distractions for them today, it's easy for them to forget about faith.
My boys like to push my buttons. Recently they told me there is no God. My reply is "then where did everything come from, do you think this whole world happened by accident?"
Their answer is "everything is made in China". They are pulling my leg of course, but I can see that they need a little more of a nudge towards faith.

Deborah Laforet said...

My boys still whole-heartedly believe in "God," however that God might look to them. I know there will come the day when they will start to question. That's not a bad thing either. Questions only make our faith deeper. I do hope though, that the church is there for them through it all, their passion and zeal, their doubt, and their absences.