Wednesday, January 26, 2011

God's Country






I will begin inflicting my musings on our time in Victoria on you, the longsuffering readers of this blog. I say "we" because Ruth joined me this time, although she spent time with our good friends while I bussed into the heart of the city each day. We did eke out time for some walks and Ruth was able to enjoy more time on trails and by the ocean with them. On a free day we drove up island to Mount Washington for some cross country skiing. You may have seen in the news that this resort received more than five metres of snow before Christmas. Yes, that is five metres, not feet.

Wherever we were we experienced stunning reminders of the beauty of creation in that very different climate. Sure they fret about the possibility of earthquakes, but what's a lil' earthquake given the opportunity to live in "God's Country." That's an expression we toss around, God's Country, but it honestly seems to fit in B.C. If one has any inclination toward God, it would be accelerated in the midst of this natural splendour.

These photos are of Ruth "tree-hugging" at Goldstream Park and then at Mystic Beach. I was part of the latter walk, a rough and ready clamber down to the beach. The last portion was a walkway made of one log that was between 20 and 25 metres long. At the beach, several waterfalls poured over the cliffs and into the sea.

Have you been to the Left Coast, either on Vancouver Island or the Mainland? I think of the old motto for B.C. which was Super Natural British Columbia. Fitting. What is God's Country for you?

10 comments:

roger said...

While BC is definitely beautiful, for me "God's country" is SW Saskatchewan - specifically the Cypress Hills area.

That's right, I said "Saskatchewan" and "hills" in the same sentence. I have camped and hiked there and felt such a sense of peace. I miss it. Although Ontario is home, I really do like Saskatchewan.

Anonymous said...

Hi johnny
I lived in Saskatchewan as a child and loved Cypress Hills as well. I remember when I first moved there how interested I was in the landscape. It was so different from what I was used to. I find when I write that this is the landscape I like to insert my stories into. It offers so much to decriptions of mental space. We lived in a little town called Cornach, and there was a small stretch of land in all that flatness that was really hilly. I used to love driving through it because of the contrast it offered on our otherwise boring drives to the city.

Deborah Laforet said...

Wow! Two votes for SK! I have to admit, as I'm watching the glorious sunrise this morning, that I have to agree. The valleys amidst the prairies are amazing. The sun dogs are beautiful. I love the fields of canola and flax in the summertime.

We are considering a trip to Southwest SK this year. We've gone through on our way to Calgary once but we are hoping to visit the Badlands and south to Mount Rushmore.

janet.rice said...

Someone has to put in a word for the Maritimes! For me it is the ocean - its rhythm, sound and smell - soothing the senses. Just as compelling on the BC coast! I have picnicked in Goldstream.. your photos depict the awe-inspiring natural wonders.
Every Canadian should have the opportunity to travel our own country coast to coast to coast to better understand our cultural differences and our diversity.

sjd said...

I've been to SK once. Didn't see the same place you both did.
I like the maritimes, espically PEI.
A place that is often overlooked is Quebec. The Lauentian mountains are beautiful, and offer activities year round.

bim said...

Yes the maritimes were great,spent 5 yrs northshore of N.B. and the Miramachi(the ocean was great and relaxing).Alltough I still call The Ottawa Valley (God's Country).I never seem to have any problem finding a piece of God's Country where ever I go and there always seems to be water envolved.

Nancy said...

I have been to the BC coast, and specifically the Sunshine Coast. It is beautiful and the pictures you have posted reminded me of the hikes we took in the forests on the Sunshine Coast. I have also been to the Atlantic and loved it just as much. Yukon is a treat as well, more in the summer than the winter, although my brother will never leave the territory. I agree with Jan, every Canadian does need to cross this vast land of ours and experience its beauty. The only province I have not been to is Nfld, and I have not been to Northwest Territories nor Nunavut. Having crossed the country by car from west to east, I think Canada is "God's Country"!

Lynnof60 said...

I, of course, second Jan's blog about the Maritimes. It has always been referred to as God's Country ever since I can remember. Now THAT is not necessarily a long time!
Having read all the blogs I would just say it is "God's Earth"

Laurie said...

I agree with Nancy,we live on "God's Earth" I lived in Vancouver for awhile, got tired of the rain. I have lived in every province but Newfoundland and have traveled in the territories. I think Canada is beautiful.

David Mundy said...

How encouraging to read these responses. We do appear to love the beauty of our country and our world. Nice that Saskatchewan gets a place of pride -- I am told by a good friend who grew up in Saskatchewan that the Qu'Appelle Valley is exceptional as well.

I too love Atlantic Canada and there is something about the ruggedness of Newfoundland that keeps drawing us back. We have come to enjoy Quebec in recent years, thanks to a son and daughter-in-law living there. The Saguenay and Gaspe regions are wonderful.

So, West Coast, East Coast, and in between. Very balanced, although no accolades for the scenery of the province where most of us reside. Northern Ontario is spectacularly beautiful.

I hope there will be more comments.