Friday, January 21, 2011

Hall of Fame Forgiveness


Robbie Alomar was one of the most athletic and entertaining baseball players I have ever watched. When he played as the shortstop in Toronto he made acrobatic plays that seemed to defy gravity. And I loved it when he invited us to watch the "Bloo Yays" on television. So I was one of the happy fans who was glad when he was electedrecently to the MLB Hall of Fame.

He didn't get in during his first year of eligiblity though, and it may be because of an ugly incident after he left the Jays. During a heated argument with an umpire, Alomar spat in his face. While that was fifteen years ago, it has stayed with Alomar.

What people don't always know is that Alomar apologized to umpire John Hirschbeck, and the apology was accepted. Alomar has made financial contributions to the foundation which does research into the brain disease which afflicted two of Hirschbeck's children. Alomar has commented that they are now friends and that God has somehow been in the midst of this.

The apology, the gracious acceptance, the restitution and reconciliation, are all important aspects of forgiveness. It usually doesn't work this way. Forgiveness is often unilateral rather than bilateral. Of course many times it doesn't happen at all.

What do you think about what happened here? Can forgiveness stories have a happy ending? How are you doing on the forgiveness front these days?

5 comments:

IanD said...

I remember the incident, but didn't realize they'd patched things up. Obviously this kind of goodwill/recompense in the face of a bad decision can be a good learning example for the rest of us.

As for the man himself, anyone remeber that McCain Fruit Punch ad Robbie used to be on? "Catch the Taste," anyone?

sjd said...

Baseball is my favorite sport, so I've kept up on Mr. Alomar's election into the hall of fame. I think it's great that they can patch things up like they have. In the heat of a sport at any level ego, and temper can get out of control. We see this in everything from parents watching their 5 year old play soccer, getting on the 14 year old reff for a missed call. The infamous hockey parents assulting coaches, refferees, or even the kids. It happens. Multiply all the minor sports tempers and egos by 100.
The important thing is as you said they talked, Alomar sincerly appologised, and even made restitution. According to what I've read they have even become good friends.
We all make mistakes. Not all of us take responsibility for them.
Go Jays!

roger said...

I have problems with forgiveness, because I see it as accepting what they have done to me. I know that is not necessarily what forgiveness means, but I have trouble wrapping my mind around it.

If someone does everything he/she can to try to make things difficult, and going to incredible lengths to do so, I'm sorry but I just can't forgive. I am resentful, at times very angry, and just would rather not acknowledge their existence in this world.

Laura said...

I hadn't heard the "restitution" portion of this story..tangible forgiveness?...putting your money where your mouth is? Good stuff if done with honest intention.

Have spent time this week preparing for our Friday night Youth Group. We have been looking at the "fruits of the spirit", with this weeks focus being on gentleness. In looking into gentleness so i might help the kids better understand it,I found often forgiveness was tied in to explanations of the biblical sense of gentleness: admitting when you're wrong,and being humble when you're right.It occurred to me as I read your blog that humbleness/humility (gentleness) and forgiveness are closely linked .

I recall as a kid being sent to my room until I would apologize. I'd think I could wait forever.(It would be easier than apologizing.) Sure makes me realize that humility and forgiveness really are learned processes. To apologize, and to accept an apology/forgive, acknowledges the worth of another (and our human weaknesses)and goes against our natural human tendancy which favours our own survival and well being. No wonder it is a lifelong journey.

Nice when a celebrity sets such a good example in living! Do you think Robbie Alomar would like to be referred to as "gentle"?

roger said...

I hate to be the cynical one, but I wonder if Alomar's acts were sincere or if they were the idea of his publicist. Sorry....just wondering.