Thursday, March 10, 2011

Beyond Grumbling


Yesterday a late winter weather mess moved across southern Ontario, making driving treacherous. At supper I grumbled about all the preparation for Ash Wednesday being for naught. Who would show up on a night like that? Actually, I was hoping that some people who told me they were coming would "stay put" because I didn't want them to be at risk. One of our daughters was amongst them.

Well, I should give up grumbling for Lent. Our attendance was certainly down, but there were 35 of us in the sanctuary for worship, including some who were present for the first time. One young person has lived on the outside of societal norms for a good part of his life, and I was glad he was there. A grandfather brought his three-year-old grandson who looked at me with fascination as I made the sign of the cross on his forehead. I had done the same with water and oil at the time of his baptism.

I was aware of the personal struggles of a number of the participants and as I said the words "the past is behind you, the future is before you: walk the Lenten road with Christ" it was my prayer that this would be so.

So last night became a gift to me, whatever it meant to the other congregants. Our God is a God of surprises.

Thoughts? Comments?

4 comments:

dmy said...

The Ash Wednesday service feels very familiar to me, probably because of my upbringing in the Catholic Church. Our anthem reminded me of the latin chanting I was used to as a young girl and I found it comforting. The service held a promise and was a mid week comfort. I left St. Paul's in peace last night and ready to walk the Lenten Road. Thank you David, whether our numbers were 35 or 350the service was definitely a gift.

Deborah Laforet said...

We had beautiful weather here and we had about 15 people come out, which we were all content with. I think the service was meaningful for those who were there, including my two boys.

sjd said...

Sorry we weren't there. Weekdays we are too tied up in our wordly lives. We all picked something to give up for lent. I like how the next day the kids want to change what they are giving up:)

Laura said...

Watching that young grandson look up with "unblinking intent" as you made the sign of the cross on his dear granddad made me think of that kind of attention and focus and facination, as being the kind we should always have for God.
Lent is a good reminder to re-focus us towards that good attention.(and not just good intentions, hopefully.)
Our 7 year old plopped down in her pew after receiving the sign of the cross on her forhead and declared.."now I feel special".. Amen.