Thursday, March 17, 2011

Prayer at Rising

Top o' the mornin' to ya, and all that other St. Patrick's day blarney. I wonder why we get goofily Irish on this day, even when there isn't a Celtic blood dribbling through our veins. If you feel the need to dance a jig today, go for it.

As you probably know by now, I am partial to Celtic Christianity as a strongly Trinitarian, earth-honouring expression of our faith. And the prayers from this tradition, which are both lyrical and down-to-earth I find so meaningful. This prayer for the beginning of the day is lovely:

Bless to me, O God,
Each thing mine eye sees:
Bless to me, O God,
Each sound mine ear hears;
Bless to me, O God,
Each odour that goes to my nostrils;
Bless to me, O God,
Each taste that goes to my lips;
Each note that goes to my song,
Each ray that guides my way,
Each thing that I pursue,
Each lure that tempts my will,
The zeal that seeks my living soul,

The Three that seek my heart,
The zeal that seeks my living soul,
The Three that seek my heart.

Anything Irish or Celtic on the agenda for your day? Do you know much about that Celtic Christian tradition?

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Happy St.Padraig's day!
Celtic Christianity is one reason I still wonder about it all.

David Mundy said...

It is wonder-full Laurie, Keep wondering!