Tuesday, March 22, 2011

More Water


I am working on my sermon for this week which arises from the story of the Samaritan woman Jesus meets at a well, a story found only in the gospel of John. It seems appropriate on World Water Day. Even in our time hundreds of millions of earthlings, usually women, must walk to their sources of water which are often of questionable quality.

I hadn't clued in yesterday that the focus today would be on water, otherwise I might have held off on the blog entry. Still, the number of thoughtful responses has prompted me to muse on water once again.

As Laura pointed out, we North Americans use huge amounts of water, including in our manufacturing processes, and it is gratifying that some companies are working to streamline (no pun intended) those processes so that less H2O is necessary.

Startling though is the amount of water we use within our households, an average of over 300 litres per person each day for Canadians. We use far more than Europeans and just about everyone else in the world. Maybe it's because we think we have unlimited supplies in this country, or perhaps it's that water costs so little compared to other countries.

At the risk of TMI we decided several years ago to take fewer and shorter showers, gearing our ablutions around gym days. And we flush the toilet less, particularly through the evening and night. We had even convinced our young adult children to follow this practice when they were still at home. I heard this morning of some people who have made the commitment to reduce their water consumption to 25 litres a day for a month -- that is a big challenge. Perhaps we should have invited folk to give up water for Lent.

Are you mindful of your water consumption? Does it seem like a losing battle with your kids, especially the teens who take interminable showers? Would you agree that the use of water is a spiritual as well as a practical issue?

5 comments:

Nancy said...

I am making the attempt to be more mindful of our water use. I was thinking last night as I was wide awake, how we might reuse our laundry water for more than one wash, but didn't come up with anything.

I heard an interview with a curator at the ROM for their new water exhibit and she said in Australia, where she's from they were given timers for 3 minute showers. She thought she would can it when she got to Canada, but found the timer in her things and has decided to use it here. I am attempting to keep my showers to 3 minutes. Fortunately or maybe unfortunately my tween is not in the shower mode yet, so we save there!!

I do agree that the use of water is a spiritual as well as practical issue. I am always so soothed and my soul refreshed after having spent time by the water's edge. I grew up on the water's edge - in our back yard, and I truly miss that as an adult.

roger said...

I am mindful of the water that I use, and fortunately my daughter doesn't spend hours in the shower.

What drives me crazy - and I've mentioned it before in this blog - are those sprinklers that are on when it's raining. To me that is worse than fingernails on a chalkboard.

Deborah Laforet said...

I am also mindful of the water I use. I was at Algonquinn park last summer and loved the showers there. The showers were on a timer. They were on for a minute or two and then shut off on their own. You then just pushed a button to turn it on for another minute or so, but during the off time, I would shampoo and wash; then, I turned the water back on and rinsed. It was great. I wish I could somehow do that at home, but it' more complicated than just pushing a button.

I also limit my showers, I don't use a dishwasher, and I limit the amount of water I use when I do the dishes in the sink. I also don't flush every time. At camp last year, the slogan was, "If it's yellow, let it mellow; if it's brown, flush it down." It's not a pleasant thought, but it is a phrase that tends to stick in my head.

David Mundy said...

It sounds as though all three of you are on the cusp of teenagers driving up your water consumption!

Thanks to all of you for your reflections. Two summers ago we camped in the Gaspe region where a three minute shower cost a quarter. It definitely focussed the mind.

Your comment about what is called "grey water" is an interesting one Nancy. A significant portion of our consumption of water does not result in sewage. In some jurisdictions they are working to distinguish between grey water and sewage so that it can be recycled more readily.

Nan said...

My mom always used a suds saver washing machine. She would start with the lightly soiled clothes first and end up with the dark load at the end. The wash water from the first load would be saved, then some fresh water would be added to it when it was called on for the next load. When we got married we got a suds saver machine and used it until just recently, when we got a new front loading machine which is supposed to save water. One of the biggest uses of water that I notice is leaving the water running while brushing your teeth. It's amazing how many people do that. I used to hate those timed showers when we were camping, but they sure did get you moving.