Thursday, March 31, 2011

Budgetting for Mental Health


I don't know whether you follow provincial budgets closely (I don't) but this week's Ontario budget includes ninety million dollars and change per year for a mental health care and addictions strategy, focussing on children and youth. That element certainly caught my attention but I couldn't find much in the way of details. I'm just glad the government is including mental health, because it is woefully underfunded in Ontario and there are huge gaps in services for youth.


As I have noted before I am regularly called upon to minister to those who are searching desparately for care for those they love, often to no avail. Too often they feel helpless and unheard. While I attempt to offer compassion grounded in Christ the healer they need mental health care services which are unevenly provided.


Did anyone else notice this aspect of the budget? Are you saying "about time?"

1 comment:

janet.rice said...

Yes, I am saying "about time". Is the government catching up with initiatives of institutions?!!...(Bell Let's Talk for example). My hope is that the dollars won't end up in bricks/mortar and CEO's salaries, but rather in practical applications - more psychiatrists, case workers, etc.
Locally Community Care COPE are trying hard to gain access for their services in the high schools. An information session is planned for Clarington Central on May 3rd. I hope it will foster conversation at the very least.
So much to do, so little time to save lives.