Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Grace of Children

So often God's grace is revealed in children and its hard to imagine ministering in a congregation without them. On Sunday a family worshipped with us for the first time and the daughter, Bethany (four or five?) came up for the kids time and plunked herself right next to me. After worship they came back to the hall and she was quickly connected with other children in a game of hide and seek.

They eventually made their way to my study where one of the seasoned veterans (soon to be five) asked if they could see the collection of smooth stones I have for use on Maundy Thursday. The precocious "regular" knew where they are kept in my closet, and helpfully pointed me in the right direction. She instructed the other two girls to feel the stones and rub them on their cheeks to see how smooth they really are, and they dutifully did so.

I finally said "out you go now" since their parents had no idea where they were. The newcomer advised me to put the stones back on the shelf in the closet as if she were in charge, and waited until I had done so. The sequence of events was delightful, one of the best moments in my day.

I'n not sure that I expect any response from you. It's just that I have been smiling about these children for the past few days and thought I would share this with you.

2 comments:

janet.rice said...

Thanks for sharing this cheerful children's story at a time when we are almost overwhelmed by the tragedies occurring in Japan. Chilren bring us joy at our lowest moments...is this "kiltering"?! They are a blessing, however you describe them.

David Mundy said...

Perhaps that's why it has lingered with me Janet. In the heaviness of the past week it was a refreshing glimpse of innocence.