Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Heating up the Conversation

So, I'm on my way to the cemetery with the funeral director a few days ago, and we get talking about the local crematorium. Hey, we talk about lots of things on those drives, but there is some shop talk. He tells me that seventy percent of deaths they address are now followed by cremation. I figured that it was probably half, but more than two thirds? Who knew? I mentioned that when I began my career thirty years ago, cremation was the exception, and the director agreed. In fact, Newfoundland, my settlement location, didn't have a crematorium.

Did you hear about the crematorium in Britain that is planning to use the energy from the incineration process to heat the municipal swimming pool? Even though cremation is rather matter of fact and "next please" in Britain, a lot of the locals are up in arms about this proposal. I'm surprised. I mean, a huge amount of energy is necessary for cremation, so why not recycle some of it for something useful. It speaks to our ambivalence about the rituals of death, even in a secular society such as Britain. For me it makes a lot of sense, practically and environmentally, and even spiritually.

What is your response to this? Would you be okay with heating up "family swim?" Will it be cremation or traditional burial for you?

5 comments:

IanD said...

Well, why not? Beats being stuffed and propped up on St. Paul's piano bench. (Right, Dad?)

roger said...

On really busy days, maybe they could heat up the hot tub and sauna.

Anonymous said...

Ian, will there be a memo before that happens? I may plan to be away that Sunday.

sjd said...

Perhaps we could expand the use of the proposed incinerator here in Clarington?
We would have to change it from EFW to EFDB. Energy from our dearly beloved.

David Mundy said...

Help me out here. Doug seems pretty frisky to me, but we are debating whether to smoke him or stuff him? What kinda kid are you Ian.

Don't get me started about the incinerator! I can visualize some regional politicians whom I would like to see as test cases for cremation.