Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Super Natural Lent


I looked out into our driveway in the early afternoon yesterday and saw our fourteen-year-old cat stretched out in front of the garage door. He appeared to be either dead or snoozing, and the latter proved to be the case. When he went out early this morning he was soon ready to return to the warmth of the house. But by afternoon he was content to catch some afternoon rays reflected off and intensified by the door.

We Southern Ontarians are becoming wimpified, startled by the continued presence of winter even though a couple of decades ago we wouldn't have expected spring in March. Now we complain bitterly about another fall of snow or a cold start to the day. But the sun is strengthening, and the days are lengthening.

Lent begins tomorrow and that name, Lent, is derived from the word lengthen. While this is the contemplative season leading to Holy Week and Easter, it is also the time when we look for the signs of natural rebirth that are sometimes hidden or revealed slowly. As someone who worships the Creator as well as the Redeemer I appreciate those seasonal signs and wonders. Lent is both supernatural and super natural.

Are you hopeful for the change of seasons? Anything that is stirring hope within you on this Shrove Tuesday.

5 comments:

IanD said...

I gave up on shovelling on Sunday - made it official, and just left the mess as is. My snow strike is on, folks.

It was great to see, then, that when I got home from work on Monday evening, most of the snow was gone.

To me, that's a sign that it won't be much longer.

Nancy said...

I take a country road to work, and noticed on Monday the amount of "roadkill". When I got to work, I commented on how I see this as a sign of Spring. Morbid, maybe, but it is a sign that the animals are making an attempt to come out of hibernation. I am hopeful for the change in seasons, and look forward to seeing the bulbs poke their heads out of the ground.

Susan said...

I have been staying at my brother's place while he has been away on holidays and I have noticed while outside doing my chores that the increase in birds chattering and singing - a sure fire sign of spring just being around the corner.

Deborah Laforet said...

I woke up to hoar frost this morning. It was beautiful. To me, this indicates a changing of temperature. I was able to comfortably be outside without gloves today. It will come later here in Saskatchewan, but spring is definitely coming.

sjd said...

I much preffer winter or summer. I am not a fan of the wet sloppy stuff inbetween.