Monday, September 26, 2011

Re-Cycled



I should update you on Ride Your Bike To Church Sunday. The forecast for the morning had changed to rain Saturday night, so I honestly had no expectations for riders Sunday morning. Fortunately the weather computers had it entirely wrong and it was a gorgeous start to the day.

Still, I wasn't holding my breath and I was relieved when Edna our custodian showed up on her bike. At least one! Then avid cyclist Carmen, who put the rack together rolled in from east of Newcastle. Then another and another cyclist. A mom and tween son from north of Hampton. A young couple from Courtice. Teens and at least one retiree who must be pushing seventy. There were somewhere between fifteen and eighteen bikes in the end. I'm not sure of the total number of cyclists because the ten-bike rack wasn't enough and the others ended up chained to trees, to the fence, and at least one inside the church.

As I said before, this is really a gesture during our Creation Time mini-season, but a nice one, it seems to me.

Any comments about this? Should every Sunday be Walk and Ride Your Bike Sunday?

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Walking to church is an every week thing for us....:)

David Mundy said...

Okay Nancy, if either of us drove to church we would end up in the Environmental Hall of Shame! It can be very convenient to live so close at hand.

Thanks.