Sunday, September 20, 2020

When Prayer is Precarious

 










Christ on the Mount of Olives -- Paul Gaugin

Precarious 

.Depending on the will or pleasure of another; held by courtesy; liable to be changed or lost at the pleasure of another; as, precarious privileges..

Precarious,uncertain.. Precarious in stronger than uncertain. Derived originally from the latin precari, it first signified granted to entreaty, and, hence, wholly dependent on the will of another. 
Origin: L. Precarius obtained by begging or prayer, depending on request or on the will of another, fr. Precari to pray, beg. See Pray.

I was reading a reflection on prayer called To Be Human Is To Pray: Find­ing Ways and Places to Speak the Soul’s Native Language by Peter Greig. In the article he mentions that our word pray has the same Latin root as the word precarious, with it's connotation of uncertainty. 

I'd never heard this before, and it intrigued me. Over the years I've wondered why I pray to an unseen God, often without much of a sense of outcome. I have been profoundly disappointed at times, and not been on speaking terms with God for a while. Besides, if a loving God knows me, my heart and mind, why do I need to pray? Why do we pray collectively in our worship and prayer groups when we've often experienced disappointment?  It really does seem precarious. 

Despite these questions I continue to seek out my Creator, Redeemer, Sustainer, through prayer and find comfort and hope. Whether it is in the anxious wee hours of the morning, or in the boldly shared prayers of the Christian community I "ain't too proud to beg". I pray and trust that I am heard. 

This morning we'll head to in-person church and I've already been praying for a meaningful and safe outcome. We will pray within our worship experience during  this precarious season of life  we will find assurance and hope. 

O Lord, hear my prayer. O Lord hear my prayer;

When I call, answer me 

O Lord, hear my prayer. O Lord hear my prayer;

come and listen to me.

Taize Community chorus -- Berthier 




2 comments:

Judy said...

Yes, prayer can be precarious - and a faith killer, if our prayer is not answered the way we think it should be ...."Thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven" seems to be the best prayer to use (and even then, we see things that definitely do NOT look like God's will...but we pray anyway.

David Mundy said...

Thanks Judy.