Sunday, March 11, 2007

Clocks set to God


I came to the church this morning at 8:30 and reset my computer clock to address the time change -- Daylight Saving Time.

Saving time. We talk about making time, saving time, wasting time. There is an old saying "a stitch in time saves nine."

The Benedictine nun Joan Chittester reminds us that no one can "make time" for anything. We are all given a standard twenty four hours in each day with which we do what needs to be done. The hope is that we will establish the balance in each day, and week and month and year so that the time we have been given by God will be meaningful and fulfilling.

While I have been writing this someone knocked on my door to chat for a moment. I want to be "in time" for worship, so I will run -- or at least move purposefully toward the choir room. We can synchronize our timepieces to God's time.

No comments: