Friday, April 27, 2007

Flick Off

A campaign to address global warning has been launched in Ontario, with a target audience of young adults. It has immediately drawn criticism because the logo "flick off" is meant to bring to mind another expression which is profane and rude.

It's unfortunate that officials figure that the only way to attract young people to an important cause is to be a bit edgy. Personally, I think opposition politicians are using this as an opportunity to jab the government and couldn't care less about the moral high ground.

One thing for certain, how we address the state of the planet has moral and ethical implications, along with the obvious concerns about our survival.

I will leave this topic alone for a while, but it should be clear by now that I am convinced that to be Christian means caring for creation.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

This is a very interesting campaign and has certainly brought about a lot of discussion. How many have now been to the website because of the media hype? Have they accomplished what they set out to do? Perhaps, as they certainly have people talking....

Did you hear the conversation on the CBC morning show this morning? They talked about how the social networks that young people are using, My Space, You Tube etc, have this edge to them and that this is the only way to get the attention of young people. I am not sure I am convinced.

I too think that the only way to care for our planet is for everyone to do their part. It drives me crazy on Tuesday mornings (garbage day) when I drive up my street of about 30 houses and I only count 7 green boxes!! It drives me crazy that a neighbour puts out 6 bags of garbage a week and for the last 2 weeks the seagulls have attacked the bags and I see them out at 6:45 a.m. rebagging garbage. She wouldn't have this problem if she used the green box! My two cents on this week long topic.